2009 Ford Expedition Cold Air Intake

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance' started by Hussein, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Hussein

Hussein New Member

Hi Guys

So I am planning to install the Cold Air Intake, Surfed ebay and got confused with all the brands and prices available there.
    I would like to receive your input here, prices range from 69$ up to 350+$. So what is the difference between the 69$ unbranded intake and the 350$+ branded intake? Does the brand make any difference?

What do you recommend?

Thanks
    H

2. 08T1

08T1 Full Access Members

Start with a tuner. Ask said tuner what they suggest and or power goals.

Example.
    5star suggested I use Airaid intake. They said it was more tuner friendly.

With random or not used intakes, a tuner will have to tune more generic. The tuning might be a longer process. Or simply you won't be a happy customer.

JMHO

CJ

3. NASCAR Mike

NASCAR Mike Full Access Members

I just installed the K&N cold air intake on my 2008 Expy. I got it for less than $240 from AutoAnything.com with a 20% off coupon.

I cleaned the MAF sensor when I swapped it into the new cold air intake. I also disconnected the battery and attached a jumper from the battery ground to the hot wire to clear all memory.

The trucks seems to have more power. It launches much harder now from a dead stop. You will notice more engine noise while under full throttle but sound is quiet when driving normal. It's too early to see if there are any MPG gains.

It was well worth it IMHO.

Next up is a tuner and hopefully 3.73 gears to swap out the 3.31 gears. This should really be a noticeable change.

4. Andy Bajorinas

Andy Bajorinas Member

I tried a cold air intake on my 2010. It was much too loud for my liking.

The kit got rid of the stock air tube with all the weird chambers in it and replaced it with a straight tube. It also left the filter more open to the outside world. It made quite a racket. I usually do cold air intakes and free flow exhaust on all my vehicles. I like the sound but this time I returned it.

It's certainly a matter of personal preference, but I figured you should know before you buy.

5. NASCAR Mike

NASCAR Mike Full Access Members

I tried a cold air intake on my 2013 Mustang GT and I removed it. It was way too loud. It appeared to be louder that the GT500 Mufflers I have on my car. I think because my 5.0 engine revs to over 7,000 rpm is why it was so loud.

I dont think the 5.4 gets over 5800RPM during shifts so the noise is acceptable to me. Again, personal preference.