2011 Epedition EL needs new engine?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaveMalEmDrew

Reaction score
I just returned from my mechanic. My 2011 Ford Expedition EL with 5.4 needs a new engine due to normal wear and tear. It has 99,100 miles on it. Cost $8,000+. They said it is due to the Variable Valve Timing and something about not being able to maintain oil pressure when it is idling. Caused internal wear to the engine.

I don't know what to do. My mechanic (who I trust and have used for years on multiple vehicles) said that with the rust (body cancer he called it) and the age, I might think about not fixing it and just buying something else. That's another issue. A 6 year old vehicle with rust and paint bubbles on it when it is parked in the garage seems like another red flag.

I just never figured that when I bought it, it would need a new engine before I was done paying for it. It doesn't seem right.

I came acrsoss this forum from an internet search about this issue. Any suggestions?

Snag

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh boy Dave, you came to the right place. And your experiences are very typical of the Fords Expeditions, F-150's and other Ford's produced from about 97ish on, some cars sooner. The 04's and newer were the biggest problem years. They don't put that engine in the Expeditions any longer, now using the turbo v-6. And phasing the 5.4 engine out completely, thank god.

Its sad to say your rig if rusty is not worth saving, your mechanic is correct. And its also sad to say a rig is dead at 99k and a 2011, Ford in my opinion should be held responsible for the garbage they have made the last number of years, the 6.0 liter diesel guys even took bigger hits. Depending on how extensive the oiling problem is on this rig could be a fairly simple fix for someone with mechanical skills, but if you are not a mechanic the 100.00+- an hour labor cost makes the "maybe" repairs too costly. If you are a mechanic you "might" be able to fix it for much less because the needed repairs would be well short of a new engine.

I have only been on this site a month or so and believe me, you are not alone. It seems a class action suit could be made off this site. The Forum is also comprised of good guys with good advice. I would suspect others will chime in soon.

Sorry about the luck, good luck

Gary

Last edited:

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

Sad to hear what you're going through but I'm in the same boat as you to say the least... A week ago my motor took a dive as well
http://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/there-goes-the-motor.31160/

My opinion to you is
1. Get a second opinion if possible to ensure what you're hearing is dead on.

2. How money starved are you? Is buying another car an option

3. Call all the local shops near your location, see what they charge to either rebuild or replace your engine, I've gotten all kind of responses recently

4. After hearing the cost, you need to decide if you're keeping it or selling it at a big loss?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How far did they go into the engine? If they dropped the oil pan and there are metal shavings at the bottom I would agree with them. Otherwise I want to see the journals and what things mic'd.
What is the oil pressure at idle?

Snag

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Common, common problem with these engines. The motor "MIGHT" be salvageable but you indicate your trust in your mechanic. You can get more input from other mechanics but would suspect the same results.
Stay with those you trust, his recommendations are based on lots of Fords he has already worked on.

The reman. shops are full of these engines with the same problem. What your mechanic is telling you is, sure he can fix it, but replacing all the likely damaged parts will cost more then an engine replacement.

To give some insight on this engine problem get on Craigslist and pull up the Expedition and set the setting from lowest to highest price. You will find many 500.00 or less with the same problem as yours. I have done the same with other manufacturers, especially the Asian, and you will not get the same response.

You are just one of the thousands with Ford problems and Ford for the most part denying exist.

Good luck
Gary

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Another option, and it would be rare to find, but maybe you can find a motor that's had all the upgrades like oil pump, phasers, and such, that needs to be sold because of accident or other reason. I've always been a believer in trying to rebuild the original, working with motorcycles a lot, reman engines were not available like cars/ trucks. But in the real world rebuilding is not always an option. The problem with not doing it yourself is you will have to pay a tear down fee. That can be an extra 6 hours labor, because mechanic has to pull engine to do a full evaluation. But as Stamp said, you could pay to pull pan, and valve covers to see what crank looks like, and debris in motor, how much their is. The tech can also examine things like cylinder walls and such. You or your tech can also look into a replacement motor, if it's a mess in there. Let us know what you do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Eh I'd be getting a second opinion. You can not diag strictly on oil pressure and unfortunately these engines can be tough to diag unless you work on them everyday. 10psi pre 1k rpm is generally considered acceptable but you should see something higher. Oil pumps are a very common failure on the 5.4 3valve so I'd do some research before you go any further.

Also por15 will stop your rust issue and I strongly recommend you look into it asap before the rust gets worse.

OP
OP
D

DaveMalEmDrew

Reaction score
Hi Snag,

Thanks for checking in. To be honest, I am not closer to any decision. From what I can gather from research is this is a common issue with Ford engines at that time and Ford will not do anything about it. I am not sure what to do. This is my wife's car that she uses to drive car pool. It has never even towed anything and has not been driven hard or pushed at all. It just amazes me that something like this can happen and be considered reasonable engine wear and tear.

I spoke to another guy, and he agreed that while unfortunate, the engine has to be replaced. I don't know whether to call Ford and cry to them about it or not. I also have a friend of a friend looking into used motors. Still looking at a price at least $6k - $8K for installation. I am not handy when it comes to cars and don't even know how to change the oil....so I have to pay someone to do it.

Anyone interested in making me an offer? Maybe some of you guys who are good with cars can make this into a worthwhile purchase. I would sell it instead of going through this.