2011 Intermittent Crank no Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wahooslayer

Reaction score
Since purchasing this 2011, 68k mile XLT six months ago, on five occasions I've experienced an intermittent crank no start condition. On the first three occasions it would start within an hour of repeated starting attempts. On the fourth, it started the following morning. On the most reason incident, it wouldn't start the next day and I had it towed to a local repair facility. Of course, once there it started immediately. No codes, no answers. The problem seems to manifest itself after a highway trip, always within a day of travelling 100 miles or so on the highway, the vehicle is mostly used around town and the issue doesn't seem to arise when used on short, local trips. Thoughts?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome to the site.

You may be looking for a needle in the haystack trying to find where the problem is. I worked on a 2007 that had a similar issue. Everytime it wouldn't start, it would once the meters were connected to t/s.
For the 2007 there are at least 44 points in the circuit that could fail and cause a no start condition. I would imagine the 2011 is worse.
The owner opted for a remote start switch for when it acted up. The dealer wanted to toss a new harness at it. I don't remember the cost but it was crazy - with no guarantee it would fix the issue.
Does the 2011 have a fuse box above the fan shroud?

OP
OP
W

Wahooslayer

Reaction score
Thank you, I had looked at TSB's for this vehicle, I could find nothing that applied to this issue.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You need to determine if there is a fuel problem or a spark problem.

If it has a port on the fuel rail you can connect a fuel pressure gauge and see what the line pressure is prior to cranking.

If not, the easiest way is to shoot a little starting fluid into the intake while cranking. If you haven't used it before, this is a bomb in a can - very flammable. Don't shoot more than a seconds worth at a time.

If it runs then it is a fuel delivery problem.

Last edited:

kwalk

Reaction score
Since purchasing this 2011, 68k mile XLT six months ago, on five occasions I've experienced an intermittent crank no start condition. On the first three occasions it would start within an hour of repeated starting attempts. On the fourth, it started the following morning. On the most reason incident, it wouldn't start the next day and I had it towed to a local repair facility. Of course, once there it started immediately. No codes, no answers. The problem seems to manifest itself after a highway trip, always within a day of travelling 100 miles or so on the highway, the vehicle is mostly used around town and the issue doesn't seem to arise when used on short, local trips. Thoughts?

I have a 2011 and recently experienced similar "crank no start" condition. It took me a while to gather enough information to troubleshoot it properly, but it ended up being the EVAP purge valve (connected to your intake manifold) being stuck open. My symptoms were similar to yours, but always after I filled the tank with gas. I followed this video for solving the problem. Keep in mind the valve on the Expedition looks different that the F-150, but Google has that information for you. I disconnected the feed hose, capped the valve and put a small foam filter on the hose for now, as the valve isn't something I'm willing to replace.

Chances are this isn't what you are experiencing, but thought it couldn't hurt to share. Good luck!

OP
OP
W

Wahooslayer

Reaction score
Interesting, just one more thing to consider, though my issue is not related to a full fuel tank, as yours and others related to that video seem to be. It sucks being in limbo not knowing when this will surface again, especially since this is primarily my wife's dd.

OP
OP
W

Wahooslayer

Reaction score
Update: After another crank/no start situation, I was able to determine the fuel pump was no engaging upon turning the key. I was able to have vehicle towed and the no start replicated at the repair facility, however, prior to completing diagnostics, vehicle started. Decided to replace the fuel pump relay and have had no further issues in the past 30 days (knock wood).

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Thank you for filling us in on the cause. It's nice when folks follow through with their resolutions. Stamp is right on about diagnosing procedures. I would have put a fuel pressure on the fuel rail and looked for pressure, hoping to find none. I thing a fuel problem would be an easier task to trouble shoot than an ignition one.

The insight into the purge valve is valuable too. Who would suspect that?

Good you got it figured out.

Eddie in NY