2011 Remote Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, and in the process, you freeze your a$$ off when its cold and sweat and burn your a$$ off when its hot.

Expeditions arent GREEN vehicles to begin with(except for the color of paint). If I was that worried about being GREEN, I would drive a prius or something like that.

ours is estate green...lol

alaskanexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As a student engineer I worked in frigid Canadian environments.
If I couldn't take the cold, I would not work in Alaska.

We kept engines warm with plug-in electric block heaters. Otherwise they may not start.
We wore warm clothing and I had gloved hands on the steering wheel.
Correct. Cannot steal without key to unlock the steering wheel and transmission.

you would not last in fairbanks,ak when it gets really cold they will leave there cars/trucks running 24/7. otherwise it will freeze up solid and pad heaters, block heaters and battery heaters wont thaw it out. ever been driving and the heater is on full blast the windows start freezing with ice and the power steering starts freezing up? i have and its no fun.

i can take the cold, i'm born and raised Alaskan. but being comfy is the most important thing to me. a nice hot defrosted truck is one thing i will always have. i don't tell people how they should live and i don't take kindly to anyone telling me how to live.

i park in the garage at home, and my excursion came from the lower 48 and does not have a block heater. only time it sits out is at work or shopping. i for one can afford the gas and will waste every drop i want to to keep my butt warm or cool in the summer. i drive 2 full size trucks one with a V8 and another with a V10..if i had any concern about using gas its not what i would own.

Last edited:

Robert Gift

Reaction score
you would not last in fairbanks,ak when it gets really cold they will leave there cars/trucks running 24/7. otherwise it will freeze up solid and pad heaters, block heaters and battery heaters wont thaw it out. ever been driving and the heater is on full blast the windows start freezing with ice and the power steering starts freezing up? i have and its no fun.
i park in the garage at home, and my excursion came from the lower 48 and does not have a block heater. only time it sits out is at work or shopping. i for one can afford the gas and will waste every drop i want to to keep my butt warm or cool in the summer. i drive 2 full size trucks one with a V8 and another with a V10..if i had any concern about using gas its not what i would own.
At the lab we had several from colder places than Alaska.
There are those who cover (insulate) and electrically heat their vehicles.
If they drive to a store, etc., and park outside, they must leave them running.
They also cover the radiator and engine compartment to conserve heat.

They try to be environmentally responsible while also saving money.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i did 3 yrs there...the coldest i saw it was -72...didnt go to work for 4 days

gdinero

Reaction score
Anyone who drives an expy isn't that environmentally conscious. Don't tell me "it's for work". If you are that passionate about your air, you'd find another line of work and ride a bicycle to work from your log cabin or perhaps igloo, not a 15 mpg gasoline-based truck from your nice house. Haters will be haters. RG, Don't bother replying to my post, I will not reply to yours.

Robert Gift

Reaction score
No winps

Anyone who drives an expy isn't that environmentally conscious. Don't tell me "it's for work". If you are that passionate about your air, you'd find another line of work and ride a bicycle to work from your log cabin or perhaps igloo, not a 15 mpg gasoline-based truck from your nice house. Haters will be haters. ...
Unfortunately, the 4WD Expedition is necessary for its medical transport missions on blizzard-closed Interstates and highways.
(Ain't work - I be a voldumbteer.)

Wife and I DO ride our tandem bicycle to the shopping center! Great aerobic exercise and no expensive fuel and no pollution.

(Denver has High Ozone days in which people are asked to car pool and use public transportation. Yet a wimp at Car Toys said he remotely started his car 15 minutes before he left work, because his car was hot. Poor girl.
My wife opens the windows and drives out of the parking lot, efficiently flushing the hot air out, before turning on her air conditioner.)
I bicycled to the autoparts store to buy the Expedition's $10 sparkplugs.

Last edited:

Static54

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Milwaukee WI /Anthem, AZ / Grand Rapids, MI
MAN-UP a little.
Get in your cold vehicle. Cold? So? Shiver.

Start your engine.
Place in gear. Without using throttle allow idle to move your vehicle.
Under load the engine wartms faster and you are making use of the fuel otherwise wasted.

While my neighbor sits making pollution, I am slowly progressing a 1/4 mile down the road and engine is warmer.

Remote starter should be banned.
Police here issues tickets for "puffers" - unoccupied vehicles warming up.

I logged on and realize this is old but screw you. Got a new born baby and a wife in 114 degree Phoenix weather you can deal with it, besides if you're concerned with emissions why are you driving an expedition. Go get a smart car or Prius or shut up.

BIGRED03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I thought we were talking about remote starter problems not the nuts that hold them.

Ddt944

Reaction score
I know this an older thread but, thank you. I got my remote start reprogrammed! Now, how do I get the feature to work so that I can leave it running when I get out but want to leave it running? Or is this for a different thread?