2013 Expedition Front Shocks Leaking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

13Expy

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

My 2013 Ford Expedition has only covered 7000 miles (mostly highway mileage) and I noticed the other day when I was warming the car there was a pool of liquid under the front tire, I thought it might be the coolant that was leaking, anyway after a few days I took it for a regular oil change and the mechanic who changed the oil showed me that both front shocks were leaking!

Now the question is:

Do I have to change the shocks immediately?

Is it safe to travel with these shocks?

Can it damage other parts if its not immediately replaced?

Please advice as I'm really confused:(

kind reagrds

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Inside the shocks are hydrolic fluid and piston that compresses or pushes against it going over bumps. if that fluid is leaking out you'll want to think about replacing them. A little leakage isn't always bad but if it's enough to make things oily and make a "puddle" they should be replaced. No it shouldn't damage other parts if you don't replace right away except for themeselves, that being said they are no good anyway. you'll probably start to notice a reduction in ride quality rather quickly if they are leaking that bad.

Last edited:

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would make plans to have them replaced pronto. As Mike said, you can lose control, especially at highway speeds. There is nothing to dampen the movement of the wheel up and down. The wheel can start bouncing uncontrollably at the slightest bump in the road. The higher the vehicle speed, the more severe the oscillation, with the tire even leaving the road surface. Thats the extreme end of what could happen. Normal city driving....on the way to the dealer....should be fine.

You shouldn't experience any other damage as long as you don't go off-roading with it.

John Christopher

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

My 2013 Ford Expedition has only covered 7000 miles (mostly highway mileage) and I noticed the other day when I was warming the car there was a pool of liquid under the front tire, I thought it might be the coolant that was leaking, anyway after a few days I took it for a regular oil change and the mechanic who changed the oil showed me that both front shocks were leaking!

Now the question is:

Do I have to change the shocks immediately?

Is it safe to travel with these shocks?

Can it damage other parts if its not immediately replaced?

Please advice as I'm really confused:(

kind reagrds

I'm surprised to hear that a 4 years old vehicle with 7000 highway miles would have leaking shocks. Did you buy the truck new?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm surprised to hear that a 4 years old vehicle with 7000 highway miles would have leaking shocks. Did you buy the truck new?

I bought a new 2015 Expedtion Limited 4x4 - never wrecked or damaged. At about 6,000 miles, the RF shock began leaking and was replaced under warranty.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To have 1 shock leaking at 6000 miles is bad but 2 at 7000 is brutal.

Often times a lack of use is MUCH WORSE than heavy usage. Letting a truck sit around damges components. They are meant to be run and everything needs lubrication. If it sits all the time things run dry, seals dry out and crack etc etc.

OP
OP
13Expy

13Expy

Reaction score

Yea I bought it new from the dealer and have 5 years extended warranty, bought it 2013/02

The problem is I went to them and told them about the problem but they weren't ready to replace it under the warranty.

OP
OP
13Expy

13Expy

Reaction score
I also noticed when I was driving the car to the dealer it was shaking @ 60 MPH, is it because of the shocks?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luketravis