2013 Steering Wheel Chuffing, Scraping Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It was pretty cold today for Florida and when I drove off a noise that has been there got worse. It is a chuffing or dragging and scraping noise when turning the steering wheel. It is like right behind the wheel at the column.

My 2001 did that and I squirted silicone spray into the space between the wheel and column. The 2013 has a lot of electronics and stuff and I don't want to be spraying blindly in there. So what exactly is making this noise? Make it go away please! What and how can I disassemble if required?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It was pretty cold today for Florida and when I drove off a noise that has been there got worse. It is a chuffing or dragging and scraping noise when turning the steering wheel. It is like right behind the wheel at the column.

My 2001 did that and I squirted silicone spray into the space between the wheel and column. The 2013 has a lot of electronics and stuff and I don't want to be spraying blindly in there. So what exactly is making this noise? Make it go away please! What and how can I disassemble if required?

It is possible the noise is being created by rubbing of the steering shaft, where it passes through the firewall. The seal may be worn, dislodged, etc. If so, the sound can migrate and appear as though it is behind the wheel.

Look under the dash, where the shaft passes thorough the firewall. Have a helper turn the steering wheel, while you examine the area. You should do this in a place that is quiet.

You can spray silicone on the shaft where it passes through the seal, if this is the noise location. WD-40 is petroleum based and can damage rubber seals.

OP
OP
JamaicaJoe

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I will get a helper. Last time with my 2001, in 2010, I found a large amount of play from the coupler, an aluminum U joint was entirely loose at the steering box. A $700 repair on a relatively low mile vehicle. Very dangerous. It was an inside knurled aluminum part on a knurled stainless steel shaft. The part was worn smooth and I was days or hours from no steering at all. Thing is that years before while I had it in on warranty for excess play, the mechanic wrote a work ticket noted it and there were no parts. Apparently they just snugged it up and sent me on my way.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire