2013 Windshield washer motor access.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

athack81

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to access the pump? Do I need to remove battery & tray, or is it in the fender well?

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That last time I did a washer pump it was in the bottom of the washer fluid reservoir. You'll need to remove the reservoir so you can get access to the bottom. That was on an Explorer, so YMMV.

mrbadwrench

Reaction score
I wanted to replace the washer pump on my '08 Expedition recently so I looked it up online and found a video of a guy taking the battery box out and a radiator hose off so he could lift the washer reservoir out. But then I needed to replace a right front sidemarker light so I pulled the headlight forward and saw the pump from there. I unplugged the light wires from the headlight assembly and set it aside, then replaced the pump without moving the battery box or reservoir.

mrbadwrench

Reaction score
And I just found out I didn't need to replace the pump. The rear wiper motor was draining the battery so I unplugged it and left it for a while. Then the washer wouldn't work. When I replaced the rear wiper motor the washer pump started working again.

It makes sense. The washer pump turns one way for the front washer and the other way for the rear. So the front has to talk to the rear wiper motor before the washer can work.

BlueStangGT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Y Fitting.jpg
I wanted to replace the washer pump on my '08 Expedition recently so I looked it up online and found a video of a guy taking the battery box out and a radiator hose off so he could lift the washer reservoir out. But then I needed to replace a right front sidemarker light so I pulled the headlight forward and saw the pump from there. I unplugged the light wires from the headlight assembly and set it aside, then replaced the pump without moving the battery box or reservoir.
Just did this today on my '07 Expy, thankfully I found this thread before yanking the battery out. Access through the headlight was really easy.

A few days ago my washer pressure dropped to almost nothing on the windshield and I guessed it was the pump. The rear still seemed to work just OK. I blew out the lines that are accessible that didn't require any disassembly and the results didn't change, so off I went to buy a new pump. Went through the headlight, drained the fluid into an empty jug and proceeded with the replacement. Before reinstalling the headlamp assembly I tested the fix and, unfortunately, there was no change in pressure to the front. So, now at least I knew there was a line problem.

I pried up the appropriate body clips and panels under the washer nozzles and found the culprit. It was the first Y connector fitting that connects the 3 washer nozzles together. I figured I'd go ahead and replace both the Y fittings since I was in there but of course you can't buy just 2 at the local "National Chain Parts Store That's Just Down The Street", or even 3 different stores that are within 2 miles of each other. $9.50 + tax and 20 minutes later I'm the proud owner of a *******' set of vacuum fittings that I'll never use in my lifetime.

Anyway, easy fix (all things considered) and the new pump certainly won't hurt anything. Here's a pic of the offending Y fitting...

Last edited: