2014 limited vs 2015 limited?

Which would you buy?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pickle

Reaction score
newbie here - my husband and I have 2 options to buy used:

2014 limited, 2nd row bucket seats, 30000 miles
Or
2015 limited, 2nd row bench seat, 60000 miles

They are both around the same price.

Questions:
1)other than the difference in fuel economy, which is comparable enough, is there a reason to go with one over the other?
2)Are the safety features in the 2015 worth the extra miles?
3)Is the middle seat in the 2nd row removable on the 2015? We have two kids in car seats so the flip-forward option to access the back is not really ideal.

Thank you! I think we have over-thought it at this point and are going in circles.

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2014, half the mileage and still pretty new. Lots of good safety features on the 2014 you should have both front and rear park aides, front and side airbags, Sync, and AdvanceTrac RSC. Fuel economy on the two are very close 14/18 and 15/19 on 4x4 models.

My 2007 with the 5.4L Triton is now at 164,000 miles and hasn’t skipped a beat, I have nothing but good to say about the motor.

Last edited:

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's a big difference in miles, I'd lean towards the 15 to get the ecoboost and electric power steering but only if a warranty were provided. Is the 14 certified pre owned? If so, go that route, the 5.4 is a good motor but check the gears, don't buy one I less it has 3.73 gears! You'll regret it later if you end up with 3.31s. A tune really wakes up the 5.4 but it can't compare to the ecoboost in terms of power and torque for towing.

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh and the middle bench seat unbolts (7 bolts) and can be removed. I just pulled it out of my 17 and the kids love it, much easier to get into the third row. You'll have to put the bolts back into the holes after removing the seat since the bolt holes go straight through the floor, and you'll have to order the carpet floor mat from one with buckets to cover the holes in the carpet that are exposed when you pull the middle seat.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good point on the axle ratios, most came with 3.73, which is what I’d stick with on either. The ecoboost has great low end torque for towing. The 5.4L also has good torque for towing as it’s an over square (long stroke) engine. Both will be rated to pull the same with the HD tow package.

Last edited:

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
LOL.... The lady mentions having two car seats and somehow the advice turns to performance? You are going to supercharge the shit out of this truck, right ma'am? If you really want to snap their little necks, I'd suggest a 100 shot of NOS and 4.10 gears. In either the 14 or the 15, it doesn't matter. Be sure to check out our off-road section while you are here.

Get the 14 with less miles, because in 2-3 years, its going to make even less of a difference than it does right now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Pickle

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! My husband definitely cares about the performance aspect for the odd time he will need to tow something, but my concern is mainly the day to day utility - we live in Calgary so winter performance is super important to me. I will show him this thread so he can have a more pointed conversation with the dealer! Both vehicles are certified pre-owned thankfully.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze