2015/2016

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jeff it sounds like are trucks are very similar, except I don't have the appearance package with magnetic painted wheels, and mine is the EL version. I would like to have the load leveling suspension, but I don't tow that often so just having the HD tow package is good enough, but it would be nice to be able to add the load leveling rear suspension.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The CCD Equipped vehicles cannot have the load leveling. CCD has special shocks, and the Load Leveling is special shocks, can't have both.

A non-Load Leveling Non-CCD equipped vehicle can have the load leveling shocks added. I know of at least one guy that has done it on a 16.

I stand corrected on the CCD equipped vehicles not having the same Towing Capacity. As long as they have the Heavy Duty trailer package an EL has 9200, and regular has 9300. My issue would be the leveling. Wouldn't want to load the rear, then put the car trailer behind it, and want it to squat. so for me the load leveling was more important. Plus I just wasn't a fan of the 22Inch wheel's design. I like the 20's.

FYI, easy way to tell Heavy Duty Trailering is whether you have the 7-Pin harness.

Here is the Towing Doc for 17:

https://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/17RV&TT_Ford_Expedition_Sep7.pdf

B-McD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Loki - Thanks for the update. If I didn't have the weight distributing Equalizer hitch setup, I think mine would drop way further than the 1/2" to 1" it does now. That is with cargo in the rear of the Expy and a 6500 lb trailer. Watch your tongue weight as well. You will know if you have your load too far to the rear of the trailer. Doesn't seem as "planted" on the highway. And yes, I have the HD towing package. Actually has both the 4 pin and the 7 pin. Good luck with your towing!

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got the HD towing package(Std w/4WD Limited) not because I tow, which I only do VERY infrequently now that I sold the boat but because it comes with the larger radiator and larger trans cooler. I figured those alone would be important for making the engine last longer. That it also came with the trailer braking and trailer sway control and the cool stuff on the left hand display was just a bonus.

jeff

Sticker cropped.jpg

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Jeff it sounds like are trucks are very similar, except I don't have the appearance package with magnetic painted wheels, and mine is the EL version. I would like to have the load leveling suspension, but I don't tow that often so just having the HD tow package is good enough, but it would be nice to be able to add the load leveling rear suspension.

It's odd you have the hd towing but not the load leveling shocks. I know they're an option but seems like they kinda just go together

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's odd you have the hd towing but not the load leveling shocks. I know they're an option but seems like they kinda just go together
It is an option that you have to add. When the dealer ordered the truck they just didn't order it. I would have liked to have load leveling. I am wondering if I can add it, but I haven't checked into it yet.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
07....yeah, LL shocks and HD tow probably does seem to go together to guys like you who actually tow....but the only reason I wanted the HD tow pkg was for the increased engine/trans cooling because I really don't tow very often. Over 17 years & 3 Expys I've only towed my boat (6,300 lbs total, 200lb tongue and now gone) and several enclosed 5x8 uhaul trailers with 2 or 3 motorcycles inside...that's really it. Yes, this puppy CAN tow 9300lbs but I really doubt that I'll ever do it.

I think that you're right Andy...it's how it was originally ordered by the dealer. I sure didn't put in for any requests. You CAN certainly add LL shocks aftermarket....lots of sources too. I have heard that the factory air suspension had a lot of issues that a quick search on this forum will show as I remember but the guys that have them would prob know best.

jeff

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
15+ Trucks do not have Air Suspension, just a different set of Shocks made by Nivomat. Same brand GM uses on the Tahoe and its clones. Other brands license the Technology. There is no electronics involved or air compressor. The shock has cool valving technology that levels the vehicle after a short period of driving.

http://www.brakeandfrontend.com/nivomat-shock-absorbers-self-leveling-monotube-ride-control-units/

Andy, I know of one 16 Expy that had them added after the fact. No issues that I have heard. The dealer actually did the install. That is how I heard about it.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that you're right Andy...it's how it was originally ordered by the dealer. I sure didn't put in for any requests. You CAN certainly add LL shocks aftermarket....lots of sources too. I have heard that the factory air suspension had a lot of issues that a quick search on this forum will show as I remember but the guys that have them would prob know best.

jeff
I had factory air suspension on my 05. I loved it. The ride was very comfortable and if you loaded it down it would automatically level both the front and the rear. When you put it in 4 L it would raise the truck an extra 2" for ground clearance. :)

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
15+ Trucks do not have Air Suspension, just a different set of Shocks made by Nivomat. Same brand GM uses on the Tahoe and its clones. Other brands license the Technology. There is no electronics involved or air compressor. The shock has cool valving technology that levels the vehicle after a short period of driving.

http://www.brakeandfrontend.com/nivomat-shock-absorbers-self-leveling-monotube-ride-control-units/

Andy, I know of one 16 Expy that had them added after the fact. No issues that I have heard. The dealer actually did the install. That is how I heard about it.
Do you have any idea of the cost for them? It looks as simple as unbolting the existing shocks and putting on the load leveling. that would be easy enough to do.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360