2015 Expedition My Ford Touch to Sync 3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AllBoostNoEco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have not done this, but I have researched it. That company and Coastal E-Tech both sell the kits for multiple vehicles, and feedback is good on them. The actual swap process seems pretty easy. It's just swap the module and screen, wire up the USB hub, and connect a second GPS antenna. The module just has to be reprogrammed to match your as-built data.
I still browse over at F150Forum occasionally, and there is two for sale on the forum, one at $650 (no nav) and one at $950 (with nav). Both will link you up with the guy who did their setups to reprogram the APIM for your VIN.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can always see what it would cost from Ford parts. Or you can always check with salvage yards to see if they have any wrecked 16s or 17s.

flexitis

Reaction score
You can always see what it would cost from Ford parts. Or you can always check with salvage yards to see if they have any wrecked 16s or 17s.
DON'T buy the SYNC 3 module direct from ford even if it's cheaper then used (which I really doubt) because it has to be provisioned and that's something that you CAN'T do with FORScan.
If you have a little forscan knowledge than I'd suggest you do buy from eBay or a salvage yard etc. and program it yourself.
To provision a new SYNC module you'll need IDS.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
War Wagon

War Wagon

Reaction score
My dealer said that they won't touch this, but said that Car Toys up the road would. I drove up to Car Toys and the guy looked at me with a blank look on his face saying that he never heard of it.

OP
OP
War Wagon

War Wagon

Reaction score
I have not done this, but I have researched it. That company and Coastal E-Tech both sell the kits for multiple vehicles, and feedback is good on them. The actual swap process seems pretty easy. It's just swap the module and screen, wire up the USB hub, and connect a second GPS antenna. The module just has to be reprogrammed to match your as-built data.
I still browse over at F150Forum occasionally, and there is two for sale on the forum, one at $650 (no nav) and one at $950 (with nav). Both will link you up with the guy who did their setups to reprogram the APIM for your VIN.
Dude, this is super helpful. Thank you!

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DON'T buy the SYNC 3 module direct from ford even if it's cheaper then used (which I really doubt) because it has to be provisioned and that's something that you CAN'T do with FORScan.
If you have a little forscan knowledge than I'd suggest you do buy from eBay or a salvage yard etc. and program it yourself.
To provision a new SYNC module you'll need IDS.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
How hard is it for the dealer to provision it? I can't imagine that they would charge that much for it. If it was me I would still explore the dealer option so that I know the cost of going brand new vs used or reconditioned.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My dealer said that they won't touch this, but said that Car Toys up the road would. I drove up to Car Toys and the guy looked at me with a blank look on his face saying that he never heard of it.
I guess it just depends on the the dealership. I can't imagine that they haven't had customers come in and say I want to upgrade to the current systems. Unless there it involves changing multiple components.

flexitis

Reaction score
How hard is it for the dealer to provision it? I can't imagine that they would charge that much for it. If it was me I would still explore the dealer option so that I know the cost of going brand new vs used or reconditioned.
If it's going into a car that came with SYNC 2 then even the dealer will not be able to provision it using IDS because IDS will not have the files available for your VIN.
The only way a SYNC 3 for a SYNC 2 car can be provisioned is if you put in the new sync 3 unit in a car that came originally with SYNC 3 and after you providing it than you can install it.
A little complicated I know and THAT'S the reason why on the flex I went with a used SYNC 3.

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk