2015 Expedition Platinum Wheels. Looking to downsize

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjmac1235

Reaction score
is it possible to downsize from the 22"inch wheels to 18's or 20's without effecting performance or OEM suspension?

I would prefer a smaller wheel and beefier tire combo.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's possible if their aren't clearance issues with the rotors/calipers. Each tire has a total weight capacity that it can safely hold. Check the side of your 22's and you'll see the weight. When going to a smaller diameter wheel/ tire combo, most go the other direction. You'll need to see the charts that show what size 20 or 18 inch tire you'll need to keep weight the same or a little higher to be safe. Most of this info should be online, or you can visit your local tire shop, they have that info. I used to be in tire business years back, most customers wanted a lower wider tire known as plus sizing. The other thing your after is to keep overall diameter the same. Any change from factory affects gearing, speedometer reading, fuel mileage. Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Denethor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
use a calc like this to help you maintain the correct overall diameter
http://www.tyresizecalculator.com
It was meant for people +sizing but I tested it, it works for -sizing too.
Just input your current tire and rim size, choose the rim you want to move to, click "show optional tires for new wheel size"

OP
OP
J

jjmac1235

Reaction score
So I understand correctly. I must maintain the overall dimensions of the original 22 wheels and tires and the truck will have no issues with speedometer, mpg and gearing?

Correct?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It should, in theory, any time you change anything from what the manufacturer designed it with, theirs always something different in the way the part works. For example a narrower taller tire will give a cushiar ride over bumps. The trade off will be it won't be as stable as the lower profile tires around corners. Theirs always pluses and minuses in any upgrade or parts change.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I didn't ask or can see from your post, is your SUV 2 or 4 wheel drive? Mine is a 2000 that has 285/50 r 20 tires on it. It appears to have a slight lift on it from previous owner. My speedo is just about spot on when I pass one of those speed digital police signs on roadway. Again don't know what your wheel offset is, or if newer models have same fender/ quarter panel clearances.

Denethor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I understand correctly. I must maintain the overall dimensions of the original 22 wheels and tires and the truck will have no issues with speedometer, mpg and gearing?

Correct?
Yes, your speed is based on the revolution of the wheels (not directly but for this explanation it is) so no matter how big the rim/wheel is as long as the overall diameter of the whee/tire combined is the same or close to the same your speedo calibration will be correct.

OP
OP
J

jjmac1235

Reaction score
Thank you. Last question. Will this effect the Continuously Controlled Damping System?

I have a 2015 Platinum 4x4. Tires are 285/45 R22

Last edited: