2015 Headlight Assembly Options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
LokiWolf

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry, but the 5.4 was a Dog in the Ex in comparison to the EB. I would not have owned an Expy if it still had the 5.4. Drove an EL in 2014, and hated it. Drove 15 that go totaled and loved it, now we have a 17.

Back on topic....Headlights. I wouldn't have asked the question if they were the same as the 2014 and before. Anybody know of any options or are we screwed...?

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry, but the 5.4 was a Dog in the Ex in comparison to the EB. I would not have owned an Expy if it still had the 5.4. Drove an EL in 2014, and hated it. Drove 15 that go totaled and loved it, now we have a 17.

Back on topic....Headlights. I wouldn't have asked the question if they were the same as the 2014 and before. Anybody know of any options or are we screwed...?
I think you are going either have to like what you have or modify them yourself if you want a different look. In a word, screwed. I haven't found anyone making an aftermarket headlight assembly specificly for our trucks.

OP
OP
LokiWolf

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think you are going either have to like what you have or modify them yourself if you want a different look. In a word, screwed. I haven't found anyone making an aftermarket headlight assembly specificly for our trucks.

Yeah, Sucks, oh well.

Flippingroc

Reaction score
Put aftermarket with the led bar that looks like a GMC acadia in mine to supplement the cost of almost a new front clip... bumpers are 900 used, used and broken headlights are still 350 (each, more if you get projectors), grill is $400 for the cheapest I've seen, and the "fog" daytime running lights are 3-600 a PIECE... I can't wait to get one a '15

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Put aftermarket with the led bar that looks like a GMC acadia in mine to supplement the cost of almost a new front clip... bumpers are 900 used, used and broken headlights are still 350 (each, more if you get projectors), grill is $400 for the cheapest I've seen, and the "fog" daytime running lights are 3-600 a PIECE... I can't wait to get one a '15
I had the dealer searching for 15/16 "program" Limited or higher ELs and there just weren't any to be found in the Ford dealer only auctions. They had a 17 EL in stock and it had everything that I wanted on it. Truth be told, I would have bought the Platinum if they had one on the lot but they didn't.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It wont be so good once the projector bowls burn. Very common thing to happen On oem halogen projectors once hid bulbs are installed
I am not the least bit worried.

Here is part of my research:

"Heat Comparison: Halogens vs. HIDs
There have been great debates in regard to which runs hotter. The truth is that the core of an HID bulb runs hotter than a halogen bulb. However, that core's heat is a result of light output and energy, whereas halogen bulbs produce light as a result of heat.

Halogen bulbs use halogen gas, a tungsten filament, and a quartz encasing. The reason why the encasing is quartz is because if it were glass, it would melt as a result of the heat. The current passes through the filament, heating it to the point to where it creates light. Halogen bulb gives off white light using thinner filament. The advantage of thinner filament is that it gives off brighter light. With thinner filament however, it tend to burns out easily and to overcome this problem, manufacturers have been able to increase its lifespan by incorporating halogen gas inside the filament there to prevent oxidization of the hot filament, thus the name halogen bulb. To make a comparison, this is like a space heater.

HID's use a completely different method. The bulb consists of two electrodes placed in very close proximity to each other. The gas used here is Xenon. Unlike with Halogen-filament bulbs, the light is created by the gas, not by a filament. HID's use a ballast which consists of a series of high current capacitors, transistors, and resistors. To light a Xenon bulb in an HID kit, the ballast takes in a small amount of power and sends a very intense charge of electricity across the electrodes. This is why they're called High Intensity Discharge. The electrical charge excites the gas molecules inside the bulb and causes them to discharge photon particles, producing light. because all of the gas in the capsule is used to create the light instead of just one filament, you end up with much brighter overall light output. The ballast regulates a constant flow of power only to keep the gas molecules excited, while a standard filament based light requires a constant intense electrical current to keep the filament hot.

I have confirmed with a simple test that 55W HIDs run significantly cooler than 55W halogens do as a result of this by placing my hand on the surface of the lense after a 30 minute drive.

Lifespan Comparison : Halogens vs. HIDs
HID is said to burn 3 times brighter and 10 times the lifespan of a Halogen bulb. It is obvious that the filament of HIR bulb tend to burns out easily even though halogen gas be incorporated. But the light of HID bulb is created by the Xenon gas, not by a filament. It can light up as long as the ballast regulates a constant flow of power only to keep the Xenon gas molecules excited. That is the reason why some sellers would like to promise a lifetime warranty of HID."

Source: http://www.ebay.com/gds/HID-High-In...IR-Halogen-Infrared-/10000000019666133/g.html

Here is a link to a test, I can't post the article; click the link if you are interested: http://www.stylingwebben.com/page/view/18