2015, Upgrade to Heavy Duty Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigfishfin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Howdy!...I wanted an Expy to replace my very old Durango, and did research on late model Expys to see what would fit my needs. A major requirement is that I have a cargo trailer I pull frequently and thus needed a HD tow package. In my investigation, (aided by this forum, thank you all) was information that trailer wiring for a 7 way plug was largely a factory wired item for the standard XLT and the stock hitch receiver was class 4. In addition, I checked high and low and could find NO viable evidence there is in fact a "standard VS HD" radiator option, (checked online and with local dealership parts dept.) To be clear, only one radiator is available, that I could find, and the fin count on my stock unit is 19 per inch, which some postings of Ford pickups, etc., indicate to be HD.

So, the only issues I could find that would prevent me from having the factory equivalent HD tow package on a standard late model XLT was: 3.31 differential gearing, an auxiliary transmission cooler and a trailer brake controller.

Armed with this information, I search for and found a 2015 XLT with low miles. I have now added the 10 gauge battery wire from the plug under the power brake unit to the rear and installed a 7 way plug, added a factory transmission cooler and a trailer brake controller. All this cost about $300.00 and my time of maybe 5 hours (used to twist wrenches). The only difference I see now from this rig having a factory HD tow package (15,200 lb GVW) is the 3.31 gearing as opposed to the 3.73 gearing and I don't consider that an issue because of the minor 0.42 gearing difference as well as the low rpm torque range of the Ecoboost. I also use a weight distributing hitch on my trailer. BTW, tows great!...

Any thoughts? Have photos of transmission cooler install if interested.

ads245

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The gearing isn't an issue. Ford specs the same towing rating regardless of gear, be it 3.15, 3.31 or 3.73. Granted 3.73s, I'm sure will get your trailer moving more quickly though.

As far as the radiator goes, the one included on trucks without the towing package and the one included with the towing package are different. You can see the options included with the towing package listed here:

https://secure.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/15RV&TT_Ford_Expedition_Sep30.pdf

I also checked the part numbers for the radiators and they do differ:
Base Radiator: BL3Z-8005-B
Radiator for Towing Package: BL3Z-8005-C

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bigfishfin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It is a cargo trailer, rated for up to 7,000 lbs, but not usually that heavy. The radiator #s that ads245 listed are the same, probably a typo? I have been all over Ford parts houses, online and brick, do see some specious part numbers, but until someone can prove to me otherwise, I do not believe there is a "regular duty" radiator offering VS HD...

OP
OP
B

Bigfishfin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
To elaborate a little more, I (again) went online to a Ford parts site, and here are the results when I selected both regular duty and HD Expy radiators. Amazingly, the catalog shows slightly different part #s, but at purchase, the same part number appears...

Ford Radiator Image.jpg

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe the HD tow package is a upgraded tranny cooler and an oil cooler, not a diffeeent radiator. You can add the oil and tranny Cooler pretty easily to get the max towing out of any expy whether it originally came with it or not. The dealer would be happy to sell you the OEM coolers. You could also buy them directly from Ford on their parts website.

Last edited:

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm sure I've read that the radiator is different. It may have the same mounts and one may "fit" the other but the head shedding ability differs from what's I've read. Typically in the world of Hot Water to Air heat exchangers, it's all about how many tubes and the density of the fins etc...

That said, it would be interesting to see a pic of the "standard" and the "HD" to see if there is any visual differences but a quick call to a Ford service Mgr should resolve the mystery.

jeff

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jeff you may be correct on the 15+ I was forgetting they are probably different radiators. On the 07-14 the HD tow package included an HD transmission cooler, oil cooler, and an seven pin harness, that was it no upgraded radiator. That being said for 15+ that may be a different story.

Edit: I am incorrect the HD radiator is different on all 3rd gens after reading more into the subject. It's basically the same price as a standard radiator just a few bucks more and yes will plug and play to replace a standard one. It is six or seven rows of tubing.

Just found out something cool. The 5.4 has a cylinder deactivation feature for an overheat condition in which it will shut off and alternate cylinders to push air through the engine to cool it, never knew that.

Last edited:

ads245

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It is a cargo trailer, rated for up to 7,000 lbs, but not usually that heavy. The radiator #s that ads245 listed are the same, probably a typo? I have been all over Ford parts houses, online and brick, do see some specious part numbers, but until someone can prove to me otherwise, I do not believe there is a "regular duty" radiator offering VS HD...

My bad. Fixed my typo for the part numbers. One ends in -C and one ends in -B.

If you look in the 2015 Towing Guide, you will see. I added an arrow to point this out.

a>

cwMWVb

Pic.jpg

Last edited:

ads245

Full Access Members
Reaction score
To elaborate a little more, I (again) went online to a Ford parts site, and here are the results when I selected both regular duty and HD Expy radiators. Amazingly, the catalog shows slightly different part #s, but at purchase, the same part number appears...

View attachment 21893

I see where the confusion comes in with the part numbers. You can't use Ford Parts to check. Parts are only listed with the middle number, not the prefix or the suffix which specifies the application. The middle number that Ford shows for parts on their websites specifies the type of part. In this case "8005" specifies a radiator but not the application. They do this to make it more difficult for individuals to order their own parts online (usually for a cheaper amount than at the dealer). Below, you can see from a dealer's parts fiche the difference:

Pic 2.jpg

Checking the manual as well, the Towing Package Radiator calls for a different amount of coolant than does the Base Radiator. Like @jeff kushner said, it's about the design, which is why the Towing Radiator surprisingly holds less.

Pic3 .jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luketravis