2015, Upgrade to Heavy Duty Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

Bigfishfin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I see where the confusion comes in with the part numbers. You can't use Ford Parts to check. Parts are only listed with the middle number, not the prefix or the suffix which specifies the application. The middle number that Ford shows for parts on their websites specifies the type of part. In this case "8005" specifies a radiator but not the application. They do this to make it more difficult for individuals to order their own parts online (usually for a cheaper amount than at the dealer). Below, you can see from a dealer's parts fiche the difference:

View attachment 21900

Checking the manual as well, the Towing Package Radiator calls for a different amount of coolant than does the Base Radiator. Like @jeff kushner said, it's about the design, which is why the Towing Radiator surprisingly holds less.

View attachment 21901
Sorry, don't intend to be difficult, but I am not convinced. I have seen the same exploded parts diagram, with the slightly different part numbers on a "standard" VS "HD radiator" (with the standard radiator sans transmission cooler). But, there are probably no auto transmissioned vehicles produced (including Expys) that do not have a transmission cooler integrated into the radiator...But, not wanting to "beat a dead horse) if I ever experience engine overheat conditions, I can add a HD radiator for some $300...not a big deal. I will report back if that event happens...In the mean time, here are photos of the factory transmission cooler I added to my '15...Cost $150.00 slipped into the factory bracket (already in place), add a couple of factory pipes and life is good!...

IMG_0315.JPG

IMG_0321.JPG

IMG_0334_1.JPG

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Expedition HD towing package shows above. It used to include 3.73 limited slip axles but my 2017 lacks them. As noted max towing capacity is the same regardless of axle ratios.

The radiators are vital and comparatively easy to install. We measured the OEM vs HD radiators a long time ago and the HD was thicker.

Wiring and trailer braking can be aftermarket there should be a connector under the dash. Teknosha is what I had on my '07.

-- Chuck

OP
OP
B

Bigfishfin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Was interesting to "hunt" for the Ford trailer control connection...Ford engineers were really clever to plug it into the back of the rectilinear "box" that fills the spot where the factory trailer control would sit. Put a Teknosha unit in also, attaching it to the bottom the dash, into the dash frame, so I don't have any nasty holes in the dash and it is really secure...

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was concerned the Ford brake controller wouldn't be as nice as the Tekonsha Prodigy I'd run for years but it worked for me right out of the box. Hook up and go. Ended dropping the gain from 6.0 to 5.5 after a while so the trailer wasn't stopping the truck.

The system reported "left trailer brake/turn signal out" and, sure enough, it was.

-- Chuck

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry, don't intend to be difficult, but I am not convinced. I have seen the same exploded parts diagram, with the slightly different part numbers on a "standard" VS "HD radiator" (with the standard radiator sans transmission cooler). But, there are probably no auto transmissioned vehicles produced (including Expys) that do not have a transmission cooler integrated into the radiator...But, not wanting to "beat a dead horse) if I ever experience engine overheat conditions, I can add a HD radiator for some $300...not a big deal. I will report back if that event happens...In the mean time, here are photos of the factory transmission cooler I added to my '15...Cost $150.00 slipped into the factory bracket (already in place), add a couple of factory pipes and life is good!...

View attachment 21907

View attachment 21908

View attachment 21909

How much of a difference was their from the factory standard transmission cooler and the HD one you installed?

OP
OP
B

Bigfishfin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How much of a difference was their from the factory standard transmission cooler and the HD one you installed?
The standard factory transmission cooler is integrated into the radiator. The unit I installed is the same as the HD unit included in the factory HD towing package. It receives the fluid out of the radiator trans cooler. Total parts online were about $150, and I chose this option because I did not like the idea of cutting lines and cobbling in an aftermarket unit...Slick installation...

adamsdaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@Bigfishfin i have a 2016 XLT in which I added the 7 pin, Prodigy and ran a wire back to provide power. I'm very interested in the part numbers and steps it took for you to add the extra tyranny cooler. What types of hose clamps, screws to mount it, etc. Pulling a 3,500 lb trailer up steep tight turns resulted in tranny temps spiking up to 238 degrees. It also happened to be 98 degrees mid-summer.

I installed an after market tranny cooler in our 2007 Odyssey and that required figuring out which line coming out of the radiator was the return line. An incredibly messy job.

How did you go about determining how much tranny fluid to add after the install as I've read the Expy has some weird peep hole instead of a tube and gauge?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2015 Expediton Limited 4x4 - purchased new and it includes the HD towing package. The vehicle has never been wrecked or damaged, or in water (other than driving in the rain).

I have never towed with the vehicle or even opened the trailer wiring connector covers.

Since new - the dash will intermittently display a, "Trailer Wiring Fault" warning. It will remain until I turn off the vehicle or click on the "OK" button.

The dealer has told me there is no fault codes, therefore they cannot fix the problem.

Does anyone know what is causing this warning? Thank you.

OP
OP
B

Bigfishfin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@Bigfishfin i have a 2016 XLT in which I added the 7 pin, Prodigy and ran a wire back to provide power. I'm very interested in the part numbers and steps it took for you to add the extra tyranny cooler. What types of hose clamps, screws to mount it, etc. Pulling a 3,500 lb trailer up steep tight turns resulted in tranny temps spiking up to 238 degrees. It also happened to be 98 degrees mid-summer.

I installed an after market tranny cooler in our 2007 Odyssey and that required figuring out which line coming out of the radiator was the return line. An incredibly messy job.

How did you go about determining how much tranny fluid to add after the install as I've read the Expy has some weird peep hole instead of a tube and gauge?

Go onto an online Ford parts store and look for the transmission cooler in the "cooling" section, to verify parts for your '16. That being said, for my '15 the part #s are: cooler-7L1Z-7A095-B; tubes: FL-1Z-7C410-A & BL3Z-7B028...As far as "plugging" everything in, the auxiliary cooler just replaces the existing return line, very evident and the cooler snaps into the existing bracket. As to trans fluid, as noted many times elsewhere, there is a dip stick on the side of the transmission, I used a pump to fill up from a quart bottle...I also picked up an extra "pressure line connector # 9L8Z-7Z465) just in case of breakage and you will need the special Lisle tool to "break" the trans fluid line...Good luck...

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
"Trailer Wiring Fault" indicates a fault in your trailer's wiring. :) Somehow the truck randomly thinks there's a trailer back there. The 7 pole or 4 connectors full of crud (wild guess) might do it. Not sure where to find contact cleaner with Radio Shack gone but that's worth a try. Fill the connectors with non conducting grease and capped tightly.

There are several options on the towing dashboard menu. Easy (for me) to set something boinking around the dash display menus. I just deleted a trailer named "a" and have no idea how that got in there. Is yours accidentally set to show a trailer? I have two real trailers set in mine but nothing set now 'cuz I'm not towing this week. First time I towed our hybrid camper the display alerted me to a bad left stop/turn bulb but the trailer was hooked up. This menu is helpful for us who tow as it will track miles on our trailers for maintenance purposes like trailer wheel bearings.

Anything in the Forscan settings to disable the trailer stuff?

-- Chuck

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luketravis