2016 AC Condensation question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sballkuhns

Reaction score
My 2008 Expedition AC condensation drained behind both the passenger front wheel and rear wheel. Started using the AC this summer in my 2016 Expedition and encountered a mildew smell through the vents. Noticed that the 2016 Expedition never had any puddles under from the AC condensation. Just had it at the dealer and they checked the lines -- they ran cleaner through the line and said lines are not plugged. Got home from the dealer and condensation is now draining from behind the rear tire only. Does anyone know - Is there only one condensation drain on the 2016s?

Asking here before I talk to a different dealer. (First dealer told me it's not humid enough for condensation. Pretty humid here so I'm not buying that...)

Apologies if this is addressed somewhere else. Unable to find anything on the location of condensation drains for 2016.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The a/c condensation drains under the front, and right rear of my 2015 Expedtion Limited 4x4. I live in the Midwest and it is 90 degrees and very humid now. The water drainage was significant today when I parked the vehicle in my driveway after a local trip.

If you have a mildew smell, you have a water clog somewhere or mildew is growing on the evaporator core due to poor drainage.

I do not know if there is only one drain line on the 2016 model, but I can't imagine that there isn't two drain lines. It would not make any sense to channel the front condensation to the rear to drain.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Each evap coil will have a separate drain. Your front is clogged plain and simple. Once you have it opened and draining you can do this at your own risk. We have never had an issue... On the semi trucks we would spray Simple Green in the fresh air supply with the ac running, fan on high pulling in outside fresh air. Expect to spray at least 1 gallon in.

OP
OP
S

Sballkuhns

Reaction score
Thanks for your responses. I was confident the lines were plugged and that's what I told the dealer when I took it in today. And I'm in the Midwest as well -- 93 degrees and humid today -- totally expected condensation. At least they got the rear line unplugged today. ..... Time to get the front one unplugged ......

Thanks again!!!

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for your responses. I was confident the lines were plugged and that's what I told the dealer when I took it in today. And I'm in the Midwest as well -- 93 degrees and humid today -- totally expected condensation. At least they got the rear line unplugged today. ..... Time to get the front one unplugged ......

Thanks again!!!

Good luck - keep us updated.

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Try to get the truck on a lift and look for a drain outlet under where the front evaporator is. If you locate it, try declogging it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360