2016 Expedition Limited with Sync 3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mdntblu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I just got a 2016 Expedition with Sync 3 system.
We had a 2003 Expedition EB that had the factory DVD system which around 2009 I gutted it and replaced it with a new overhead DVD player/monitor and replaced the factory headunit with a Pioneer AVH-X5600BHS. I had the audio shop wire up the front Pioneer to the AUX port on the overhead DVD and we were able to play DVD's on the front headunit to be displayed in the back (and front if the parking brake was on) and the audio would come out all the speakers. We could also play a DVD/SD Card/USB Flash drive directly on the overhead DVD and the audio would either come over a radio station or wireless headphones. System worked pretty well.

But now onto the 2016 Expy with Sync 3. I know Sync can't play DVD's and I'm not even looking to do that but I want to be able to play movies in the back seat with wired/wireless headphones. Audio doesn't need to come from the Sync ever. I really don't want to install a overhead DVD (I will if necessary) but was thinking maybe headrest screens possibly. When Ford installs the factory headrest screens what do they install to put the DVD in? The other option is figuring out a way to do some AdHoc wifi connection and use an Apple TV or something and can airplay things from iOS devices.

I'm sure others on this forum have wanted to do similar things and now that most movies come digitally as well as DVD maybe we don't even need a DVD (they get messy and scratched anyways) and can use USB/SD or something else. Any suggestions?

expeditionkamacho

Reaction score
I also recently bought a 16 "base" xlt" and was also wondering the same thing. My wife's mazda cx9 gt has all the bells and whistles and a bose dvd sound system, and i was really interested in adding a similar overhead or headrest dvd system. But they are way overpriced and the cheaper ones are crap. What i ended up doing was i bought a few hd8 fire tablets at $50 sale on amazon and bought back seat organizers that have tablet mounts and pockets for other stuff and installed Netflix and vudu on them and while at home i let my kids pick what movies they wana see for a roadtrip and just download them to the device over night and bingo! Each paired with their own Bluetooth headset they watch what they pick in their own privacy. The best thing is since i got a 200gb micro sd for each tablet they can download alot of movies. Beats having to carry dvd cases and risk scratching the dvds.

Sent from my N9519 using Tapatalk

17LimitedExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I also recently bought a 16 "base" xlt" and was also wondering the same thing. My wife's mazda cx9 gt has all the bells and whistles and a bose dvd sound system, and i was really interested in adding a similar overhead or headrest dvd system. But they are way overpriced and the cheaper ones are crap. What i ended up doing was i bought a few hd8 fire tablets at $50 sale on amazon and bought back seat organizers that have tablet mounts and pockets for other stuff and installed Netflix and vudu on them and while at home i let my kids pick what movies they wana see for a roadtrip and just download them to the device over night and bingo! Each paired with their own Bluetooth headset they watch what they pick in their own privacy. The best thing is since i got a 200gb micro sd for each tablet they can download alot of movies. Beats having to carry dvd cases and risk scratching the dvds.

Which headsets did you get for the Fire?

expeditionkamacho

Reaction score
Which headsets did you get for the Fire?
Honestly i dont remember the name brand but if u search on amazon "backseat tablet organizer" ull get a bunch of them ranging in prices from $12 to almost $30 a piece. I paid about $12 for mine, they pretty much looks like a backseat matt protector with pockets around and one large window pocket in the center, thats where the tablet fits. Most can fit up to an 11inch tablet easily so for me they work great since my fire tablets are 8inches plus a protective case. They latch on to the seat's headrest at the top and hug around the bottom of the seat with straps.