2017 Expy Limited 3000 mile road trip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NevadaGeo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have 5000 miles on my new Expy. I wanted to give some of my impressions of the vehicle after a long road trip in SW USA. My wife and I took two weeks and drive to Denver area to visits some friends, then to Durango CO, Albuquerque, Silver City NM (Gila Cliff Dwellings National Monument), Petrified Forest NP, AZ, Grand Canyon NP, AZ, Zion NP, UT then home. A very cramped time schedule to see beauty of the SW. Total trip averaged 19.3 mpg using 91 octane (highest we can get in the mountainous West).

My expectations were exceeded and my impressions are very high. We used the Sync3 Nav for all our hotel reservations and was very satisfied with the ease of use and accuracy of route and time of arrival. We used voice command to enter all the destinations and the system was spot on. The system's only goof on hearing "Michigan" over my voice command of "New Mexico". Other than that, the Sync3 system worked exceptionally well.

The smoothness of the ride was exceptional as well. Even rough roads were comfortable. The stock Dynapro AT were quiet and responded well to cornering. Some of the parks we went to were accessed by very winding roads with several hairpin turns going up and down grades. I used the Manual selection and found it to be very effective using engine compression for slowing down grades. What I really liked was when the selector is in Manual, the left side display goes to tachometer (I tend to keep in on Fuel Economy) so you can see engine RPM. I found best engine compression drag was above 2000 RPM. The vehicle responded very well to tight corners without any considerable body roll. My wife was not impressed and acted as the "vocal comfort alarm".

Ascending hills was done without dropping gears and the 3.5 TT seemed effortless to climb without any stress. Very impressed with the engine both ascending and descending hills/mountains.

On several occasions, the two lane state routes will have a slower driver ahead. Passing these vehicles was a joy and often exceeded 100 mph. This was unintentional and was again effortless with the engine dropping into 5th gear. Again, my wife was not impressed and wondered why her husband of 34 years was grinning maniacally ear to ear.

Interior was very quiet with the seats very comfortable. Most roads were driven 70-85 mph and road/wind noise was minimal. Used both heated and cooled seat controls since springtime in this area is cold in the morning and warm in the afternoon.

Overall, I am very impressed with my new Expedition and very happy with the purchase.

My wife and Expy in Gila National Forest, Mogollon Mountains, New Mexico
IMG_0994 (2).JPG

My wife and I at the Grand Canyon-AWESOME place!
IMG_1120 (2).JPG

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Excellent Review & thanks for taking the time to post. How come all GF's and wives have that need to press the non-existent brake pedal, etc and when that doesn't get a reaction from us, they go to the audio? I showed my sweetheart the roll/yaw indicator on the left side of the display and told her "no need to comment until it reaches 10%"..............I'd be lying (& you guys would know it) if I said that worked with her<LOL>.......for a woman that rides bikes, she's thee single most nervous passenger in a car/truck I've ever had.....I do love her though....very much so!

jeff

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great pictures Nevada. I love that it performed so well. I can't wait to give mine a try on a long trip. I took the Hankooks of mine because I thought they were noise at lease compared to the Firestone Destination ATs.

We leave on our first trip to PA to go back home to visit family and friends. The first 4-1/2 hours are pretty boring driving out of Indiana and across Ohio because the road it essentially straight and flat. Then the next 3 hours once we get on the PA turnpike it is like driving on a road course, up, down, around, and through (tunnels) the mountains. It gives you quite a work out. The old 5.4 handle it well the first couple trips but as the miles racked up I noticed that it used to have to downshift more often to get up the hills.

In the picture of your truck with your wife in the background it looks like your right rear tire was low. Or is that an optical illusion?

Barjrob1972

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. My wife and I are big fans of road trips in pretty much the same areas you mentioned, which is one of the reasons we went with another EL except this time with AWD/4WD. We haven't had a chance to really stretch its legs yet but I've got the itch. It did pretty well in an overnight trip down to the Texas Hill Country, tackling the ups and downs with relative ease and I was surprised at how aggressive the engine braking was with the cruise set. Can't wait to test it in real mountains but I figure, like you, I will go to manual mode as I usually do.
My wife has a tendency to get car sick and I have a tendency to try and straighten out corners so we'll see how my 'pitch and yaw' control responds. Running the Cherokee Trailhawk across BLM roads in the Colorado mountains helped me to understand just how sensitive and annoying those controls can be at times.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Excellent Review & thanks for taking the time to post. How come all GF's and wives have that need to press the non-existent brake pedal, etc and when that doesn't get a reaction from us, they go to the audio? I showed my sweetheart the roll/yaw indicator on the left side of the display and told her "no need to comment until it reaches 10%"..............I'd be lying (& you guys would know it) if I said that worked with her<LOL>.......for a woman that rides bikes, she's thee single most nervous passenger in a car/truck I've ever had.....I do love her though....very much so!

jeff
It took me a while, but I found that after almost 31 years that reason and logic seldom works, so I just try to not scare her too often. Actually she scares the crap out of me when she drives me anywhere, which isn't too often, thank God. I love my wife too, and I wouldn't know what to do with myself without her.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NevadaGeo

NevadaGeo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In the picture of your truck with your wife in the background it looks like your right rear tire was low. Or is that an optical illusion?

Thanks Andy, I did notice that in the photo as well. It is an optical illusion or something like that. Hard to say. I was thinking about the tire noise... While I did not notice much noise from them on this trip, I know there must be something quieter. I will keep that in mind as these wear out. They are top rated in Consumer Report. They are only two ply sidewall, so I may need something more off-road hearty when field season begins and mud season ends.