2017 gas tank strap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

plumcolr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just noticed (and cut away) a yellow plastic strip which had worked its way from between the gas tank and the front strap. It is about 1/2 inch wide, flat plastic with a woven look. Should I be concerned, or is it just there for NVH?
Would be a PITA to replace. It's obviously too narrow to prevent contact between the tank and the strap.

OP
OP
plumcolr

plumcolr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OK, figured it out. Banding material used to hold the tank in place prior to installing tank straps.

Expy2012

Reaction score
So glad I found your post - I found that same strap dangling underneath my Expy and was wondering what it was for and should I be concerned that it has pretty much disintegrated.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So glad I found your post - I found that same strap dangling underneath my Expy and was wondering what it was for and should I be concerned that it has pretty much disintegrated.

Speculation on my part - but I’d bet that strap was supposed to be removed by one of the workers when the vehicle was manufacturered.

OP
OP
plumcolr

plumcolr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No, I don't think so. Holds tank in place while worker (robot?) puts the steel straps on. If you've ever dropped a transmission pan for the first time, you would have been disconcerted by the plastic plug that fell out. That plug is put in the dipstick tube during assembly to keep it sealed. When worker inserts the dipstick, it dislodges the plug which ends up in the pan. They use lotsa little trix like that during assembly.