2017 towing tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tikisia

Reaction score
Hi,

We just got a used 2017 Expedition, it came with 24" wheels that I be removing.
Just got the OEM 20" wheels, so now I'm looking for tires. The main reason that we got the Expedition is for towing our travel trailer. Can't find a 55 E rated tires, I been reading and some people got 60 E rated.
Looking for recommendation on tires and sizes. And the biggest differences/benefits on going 60.

Thanks
Tikisia

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was in the same boat and needed an E rated tire. Couldn't find the oem size so I went with a 265/60/20 Michelin Defender LTX

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
can't speak to 20's, however I've had 2 sets of the LTXs, and now Defenders after the goodyear factory-equipped tires. No issues including timber road mud/snow navigation during hunting season. towed plenty and long miles on them. rotate every 5k miles whether needed or not and watch inflation rates. some prefer nitrogen if it's avail in your area.

Reaction score
I just put on a set of Hercules Terra Trac ATII (275/55-R20) about 4 months ago. They are a load range E. Local tire dealer said he sells tons of them and has great luck. They really did not affect ride quality at all. They were great in the snow. I feel like they are not quite as good as the Eagle LS2 in the rain though.

https://www.herculestire.com/tire-details/Hercules/Terra Trac AT II

In case anyone is interested in replacement trailer tire recommendations, I replaced the "Road Rider" trailer tires with Carlisle load range E tires as well. We had a blow out on our very maiden voyage last year on the factory tires, those Road Riders are absolute junk. I don't see how RV manufacturers get away with selling such junk tires. They have been great also.

StephanSloan

Reaction score
I put 275/55/20 Michelin Defender LTX on my 2008 EL. I pull a horse trailer and am very pleased. When at full pressure I believe they are a significant improvement over the original Pirellis.
Good luck-

MattyMMA

Reaction score
You really shouldn’t need E rated tires. If your hauling that much your probably overloaded.

We just purchased Yokohama Geolander A/T G015 all terrain tires. These are an “extra load” tire.

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.j...toModel=Expedition+EL+4WD&autoModClar=Limited

Price is fair. They are severe snow rated and it showed this past winter. Plus they come with 60,000 mike treadlife warranty. Can be inflated to 50# for towing.

And the price is fair. We got them from Sullivan Tire with a buy 3 get 1 special and $60 back visa from Yoko. $800 out the door roadforced.

Good luck, let us know what you find

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Going with e rated tires isn’t necessarily because you’re adding weight. The stiffer tire helps out with sway.

Plati

Reaction score
I bought E rated tires for tougher sidewalls off road. It was a bit of a calculation to find the right pressure to run. Went with Falken At3w to get 18/32 tread depth new. I hate to run any tire below 6/32" tread (snow). Those Yokohama's start at 12/32" tread depth new. Look like nice tires otherwise.

Reaction score
Going with e rated tires isn’t necessarily because you’re adding weight. The stiffer tire helps out with sway.
Exactly, side wall stiffness is exactly why I did it too, also if you look at the load rating of the Good Year Eagle LS2, it's barley above what the axle rating is (peace of mind too). And you can really flex the sidewall by just grabbing the hitch and pushing it back and forth with the LS2s. The Terratrac ATIIs are much better even though I don't need the load capacity (verified weights at CAT scale).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max357