2017 Water Leaks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can't blame the guys Loki....we're here most of the time and we know what we are used to hearing........this just seemed very atypical.....but certainly viable......

jeff

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree with Jeff chill out Loki. Nobody is giving her a hard time. In fact she’s been kinda rude towards the folks giving her honest answers. What help is she looking to get here exactly? So far nobody else has experienced what she has and people have told her what they would do if put in her situation. Demand ford buy the vehicle back, consult with an attorney, buy another manufacturers car, etc. IMO the responses in this thread have been just fine.

I have to agree though 3 vehicles experiencing the exact same thing and one of them being a rental just seems crazy to me. Not calling anybody a liar but that just sounds odd.

John Christopher

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not saying your lying, but 3 Expy's leaking in a row is hard to believe. It may be related to something your doing or just terrible luck. I think you should take JExpedition07's advice and go with a different brand. Good Luck.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ya’ll are missing the point. She doesn’t want to go somewhere else. She came on here to find out if this was common on the 17, and if others have witnessed it.

In our opinion, it isn’t, but we are a REALLY small cross section of owners. This could be a thing that like I said above that affected a certain run.

She was only rude to those who called BS, and basically accused her of lying, even when she showed a video and pictures.

She owned 3 expeditions before the first 17, obviously she is happy with the product. Telling her to go somewhere else, just because she had REALLY bad luck with these 3 is crap.

I know of several people with Explorers and other ford vehicles with leaky SunRoofs, pretty common across many manufacturers. One of the main reason a lot of people avoid cars with them. One of my co-workers wives had a 13 or 14 Expedition with a leaky one, took them like 4/5 trips to the dealer to get it straight. Pretty sure the body shop at the dealer replaced the whole thing to finally fix it. That is all the 2nd one was for ExpyGal.

I am moving on, but we need to be a little less combative on here, especially to new members if we want them to stay around.

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m so sorry to hear you’re having so much drama with your Expedition. My 2015 Limited does not leak a drop of water anywhere and I’ve washed it almost twice a week since I bought it in October. So I don’t have any data points for you. If you are sincerely having this problem with three different trucks I personally would be all over this with my lawyer and making sure Ford took the truck back and I’d be seriously considering a Sequoia or Tahoe/Suburban. This is crazy and I would likely be done with Ford for the rest of my life. Again, I’m so sorry. This is drama. You just want a vehicle to work, keep you dry and cool/warm and comfortable as well as safe and to get you where you need to go. If it doesn’t meet one of those basic needs, I’d be moving on without a doubt. So sorry. [emoji53]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

NASCAR Mike

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Call BS all you want, if I could post the video of it on here I would. And the water in picture number 3 is what drips on me when I drive so no, it’s not fine. You don’t have to be rude, if you have no help to offer just keep scrolling. And for the record, I never had a problem with my ‘97, ‘01, or ‘14-just the ‘17’s.

Sorry to hear about your problem. I have only had my Expy two months now and thankfully no leaks. I would prefer if mine did not come with a sunroof but I bought mine as a leftover before the 2018's came out so I had no choice.

Can you post the VIN #'s and build dates of each Expedition that leaked water? I think that may narrow down a build period.

Bigbadbull

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have had a couple drops come in on the 3rd row side windows in a particular aggressive car wash on my 2016 KR. No major leaks. I will see the water drops on the inside of the windows when i am cleaning the glass immediately after going through, not a flood just a few drops. Nothing from major rain storms. No issues in the HVAC in the rear and middle seats, no sunroof issues.

I check a lot after car washes and major rains.

And I am super sensitive to water leaks on cars.. I had a E61 BMW wagon that got nicknamed the "Uboat"
I had the panorama sun roof leak every time it rained. It would fill up under the rear load floor and battery well in the trunk . That is were all the ECU's are located for the car and several wiring junctions. So every time it rained it would have to go in for service and have $15k-32k of electronics replaced in the car under warranty plus trim and carpeting. BMW did not see an issue with this and I had to get a BMW CCA Omesbuden involved. BMW ended up taking the car back. the Irony is that BMW sent me a Class action settlement notification about this very issue about a week after I got the 16 King ranch..

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Better yet, making use of the "Ignore" function has a wonderful effect. Left click on the offending posters' name, then click "Ignore".

I encourage anyone who can’t have a conversation like an adult and who can’t handle honest opinions to block me yes! We all gave honest advice of what we’d do in that situation. The points of failure are either sunroof gasket, luggage rack penetrations, or body sealant. Only other recommendation would be to take one through the car wash on an extended test drive. Nobody else has experienced the problem and the user was just plain rude to people giving opinions. I said that it was hard to believe and was honest then gave my best advice. she came asking if anyone else has seen it on this forum, so far nobody has, therefore what are we to do?? What we did. Thank you now she can go click on that ignore button, i would very much like that.

Last edited:

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe after you successfully get Ford to buy it back, you should opt for a 2018 Expedition.