2018 Build and Price is live

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the wife and I are on the fence between the short and long wheelbase. It wouldn't be often we would have the seatin at capacity with luggage but it will happen at least a couple times a year. Can anyone here that has had an Expedition already comment on their particular wheelbase option likes/dislikes and wishes? Thanks!

Know people with both and have family with both and if you carry a lot of gear the EL is going to be better for you no ifs and or buts. There isn't much room in mine when all the seating is up where as in the EL there is an adequate amount. If you will be taking it in rough terrain or sharp hills standard length is better as it won't get hung up as easily over the too long wheelbase of the EL. For 2018 it will be called MAX I believe but I think the wheelbase will be closer to standard now. It's also easy to parallel park mine (if a chevy cobalt can fit there, I can fit there, well in my mind I can).Where as with the EL or Max this is not the case. My standard length isn't much longer than a sedan.

Last edited:

cullinan18

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the SB and have used the space between the captain's chairs to "gain" extra room. Yes, there are times I've wished for the LB. But every time I park in my garage I am grateful I have the SB. So far, nothing I've bought or tried to load didn't fit in the SB.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the SB and have used the space between the captain's chairs to "gain" extra room. Yes, there are times I've wished for the LB. But every time I park in my garage I am grateful I have the SB. So far, nothing I've bought or tried to load didn't fit in the SB.

Yeah I've measured in my garage and both will fit but the long one would be somewhat tight. We are the type that when we buy a car we keep it for as long as possible so we really want to keep the "man I wish we would have"s to a minimum. We have out grown our current vehicle so bad that we may be going a little too big with the Max. I guess when we go test drive we'll bring our double stroller and see how it fits.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like you made your decision. Youll have to get the limited so you can have the front sensors.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like you made your decision. Youll have to get the limited so you can have the front sensors.

Well, my wife likes the platinum because the safety stuff is all standard and once you add the options she wants to the limited you're almost to the platinum cost anyway.... so I think I'll let her twist my arm. Gotta keep the wife happy.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wouldve like to get the platinum, if some of the options werent locked out, i actually wanted the xlt max. Did the same, but shes backin outof our color choice but the trucks been ordered so shes stuck lol.

Allen Miller

Reaction score
Man, these have gotten expensive. 2003 EB was only 43K, which is roughly what the base model with similar equipment to the 2003 EB package works out to after adjusting for inflation... and you still miss out on the climate controls (dual zone and seats) of the EB unless you want the full options package for another $4k

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wouldve like to get the platinum, if some of the options werent locked out, i actually wanted the xlt max. Did the same, but shes backin outof our color choice but the trucks been ordered so shes stuck lol.

What options did you want that were locked out?

songshan311

Reaction score
I would just go for navigator L or Yukon XL if there is not a goooooood rebate, just a little more on budget, but at least I can show off to my friend who is still in my home country.
A Ford for over $80K? They would just say "Hehe".

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score

We are opting for the second row bench seat so the space between the captains chairs is out, unfortunately.