2018 Build and Price is live

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cullinan18

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Artie, besides ensuring you can fit in the garage, you might want to ensure you can also open the tailgate while inside your garage. Garage heights vary and since mine doesn't have an adjustable height tailgate, I got lucky that I could open it without hitting the garage door (just barely!).

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Power running boards, front parking sensors, sec row heated seats, sec row cpt chairs(decided it wasnt worth the extra 800) are the features we wanted on our vehicle but werent available to us. We started with the xlt 202 but when goin over the order guide and picking what we wanted, the wife was like "what, but i need that..." I tried to get it as comparable as our navi while adding the newer safety features. She also wanted the camera and self parking but the camera is only available on the 302(for how much they are, might as well get a plat lol) and the sp is more a wow feature(though if i knew it was only a 400 increase, i wouldve ditched the red and added that instead). The only things we didnt add that are on our navi were the cpt chairs as mentioned, nav, dvd system, but i reasoned that they are somewhat redundant(sync 3 is app compatible and has carplay for nav, wi fi for movies on phones, the middle seat can be lowered) to save some money.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Artie, besides ensuring you can fit in the garage, you might want to ensure you can also open the tailgate while inside your garage. Garage heights vary and since mine doesn't have an adjustable height tailgate, I got lucky that I could open it without hitting the garage door (just barely!).

That's a good point. My garage door opens to 82.5 inches.... do you think it's high enough?

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Outside the spoiler you should be good, the new truck is a full inch shorter but honestly, why would you load up i the garage lol

cullinan18

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When my garage door is open, the section that is parallel to the ground is 7'6", which gives me plenty of clearance. My nail biting is because the tailgate opens where the garage door starts to curl down and where the opening to drive in. I only have a couple inches of clearance at those two points.

cullinan18

Full Access Members
Reaction score
dlcorbett, I load in the garage to stay out of the rain or sun. When given the choice, I will always pack up in the shady, dry confines of the garage versus the poor weather protection of the outside world.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the wife and I are on the fence between the short and long wheelbase. It wouldn't be often we would have the seatin at capacity with luggage but it will happen at least a couple times a year. Can anyone here that has had an Expedition already comment on their particular wheelbase option likes/dislikes and wishes? Thanks!
Artie, the first Expedition that I bought was the standard wheel base version. from time to time I carry lumber, plywood etc and I wanted something that that had a long enough bed that I could fit a sheet of plywood and shut the door.. I also fly radio controlled airplanes and I have one airplane in particular that has a one-piece 8' wing so now it will fit completely in the back and not have to stick through the seats. As far as driving and parking is concerned. If you can drive and park the standard wheelbase model you will not have any trouble with the EL or Max. The back up camera really makes it a lot easier to park. If you are good at backing up and steering around things the extra length will not bother you.

What is nice is with the third row seats up you still have plenty of room for luggage.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Artie, the first Expedition that I bought was the standard wheel base version. from time to time I carry lumber, plywood etc and I wanted something that that had a long enough bed that I could fit a sheet of plywood and shut the door.. I also fly radio controlled airplanes and I have one airplane in particular that has a one-piece 8' wing so now it will fit completely in the back and not have to stick through the seats. As far as driving and parking is concerned. If you can drive and park the standard wheelbase model you will not have any trouble with the EL or Max. The back up camera really makes it a lot easier to park. If you are good at backing up and steering around things the extra length will not bother you.

What is nice is with the third row seats up you still have plenty of room for luggage.

The space behind the 3rd row would be our reason for going with the max. It wouldn't be often but a few times a year we would be carrying people and luggage at max capacity and would like to avoid a box on top or the box in the trailer hitch. Full sheets of plywood and drywall would happen but less frequently.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
After playing with the Ford build and price I decided to look at the Lincoln build and price. That may have been a mistake. The cost of the platinum expy is not far off from the cost of a similarly equipped Navigator select. I wonder if it would be worth splurging a little or would it be too weird taking a Navigator camping and fishing?!?