2018 expedition headlight assembly ballast replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes I do have a 2018 Platinum Max. And this is the part that I'm talking about. It sits right under the headlight assembly. Some vehicles, not specifically this one, with bad LED strips, they just change this piece to fix the LED issue. I'm just here to see if anyone had that same issue and fix.
I searched the part and Explorers and trucks came up, but no mention of Expeditions. I suggest calling the dealer and chatting with a mechanic who may be able to tell you.
As I stated I had the same issue, so I can only go by what the dealer replaced. I'm sure they would have replaced the $110 part instead of the entire $1000+ assembly, if they could. If it is the same part as the 2019, then the entire assembly may need replacing. If it is different or someone knows of a 3rd party tech that can replace that part, then it may be possible.

Last edited:

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it the led DRL strip that is out, the whole headlight assembly will need to be replaced, unfortunately

OP
OP
P

platinumexpy

Reaction score
Well wish me luck. I'm about to replace this part today and see what happens. I'm sure someone else out there has the same issue but nowhere to get some insight on the replacement on this part and if it fixes this issue,or not. We'll see...

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
LDM: looks like LED Driver Module, and as someone said in this thread, a hold-over on naming it a 'ballast' (car manufacturers are notorious for not naming things what the are). A voltage stabilized 15V. I think it's a smart idea to have that external to the LEDs in the headlight. Hopefully this fixes the issue.

fszatko

Reaction score
Well wish me luck. I'm about to replace this part today and see what happens. I'm sure someone else out there has the same issue but nowhere to get some insight on the replacement on this part and if it fixes this issue,or not. We'll see...
I also have a 2018 Expedition Max Platinum with a portion of the LED DRL not working on one side. I was also told the only option was to replace the entire $1200 headlight assembly. Very curious if you had success replacing the LED Driver only. Please update when you are done.

pistolpt23

Reaction score
J
just curious if this worked for you platinumexpy