2018 Expedition Reviews

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
'Cause it'll tow >8000lbs and is available with skid plates, a two speed transfer case and a locking rear differential. Will an Acadia or Explorer check any of those boxes? I certainly cross shopped it.

Last edited:

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Then it would clearly win against its “like” competitors! But to put it against these full size SUVs doesn’t make sense. It is tiny on the inside. When we were shopping for midsize, we drove one, and the $55k explorer beat it in every category, except obviously towing, which at the time, I don’t think it did, as they didn’t offer the diesel out of the gate. That 3rd row is good until 5th grade at best!!!

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good review. I’m surprised the aging 5.6L in the armada is quicker, didn’t expect that good for Nissan. It’s nice to see a review that doesn’t want it to be an AWD crossover. I really dislike most automotive journalists anyway, all they think about is the then and now. they disregard a lot that is important, but this was an honest decent review.

OP
OP
gtnator

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They really liked how the Expy did off road too! Makes me want an FX4 now...

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m also glad they didn’t pick on handling and understand it’s a truck based SUV. They liked the handling and space for rear passengers. Some reviewers forget this and want a crossover and it makes me facepalm.

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good review. I’m surprised the aging 5.6L in the armada is quicker, didn’t expect that good for Nissan. It’s nice to see a review that doesn’t want it to be an AWD crossover. I really dislike most automotive journalists anyway, all they think about is the then and now. they disregard a lot that is important, but this was an honest decent review.
to say it is quicker is slightly misleading. in the beasts of burden review this was stated. "the Armada ties the Expedition’s 0–60 run and quarter-mile time but is going slightly faster, at 94.0 mph, as it passes by the quarter-mile mark."

so while in its most basic form the statement "the armada is quicker" is true, it should be accompanied with the above statement.

i would also go as far to say, it is NOT quicker, but faster through the 1/4 mile traps.

i wonder how the Platinums extra torque and HP would fair in the competition?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
to say it is quicker is slightly misleading. in the beasts of burden review this was stated. "the Armada ties the Expedition’s 0–60 run and quarter-mile time but is going slightly faster, at 94.0 mph, as it passes by the quarter-mile mark."

so while in its most basic form the statement "the armada is quicker" is true, it should be accompanied with the above statement.

i would also go as far to say, it is NOT quicker, but faster through the 1/4 mile traps.

To be fair they are dead even. I believe Car and Driver says the Nissan Armada is 0-60 in 6.2 seconds, while the expy is 6.2 seconds. I’d still take the ford even if it was 5 seconds slower. By the same token if it’s against a platinum the Infiniti QX80 with the higher output 5.6 should be used as it’s priced to compete.

Last edited:

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score

My gut tells me the extra torque and HP might not make as much of a difference in the quarter mile as the standard rear differential.

OP
OP
gtnator

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My gut tells me the extra torque and HP might not make as much of a difference in the quarter mile as the standard rear differential.

Meaning what? Do you think the standard rear diff is faster or slower?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk