2018 Expedition XLT Gas Mileage Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

st381183

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ve been seeing some really good mileage reports from everyone which is great, but my 2018 Expy XLT Max only get about 17.8/gal highway doing about 82mph and 15-16 city using 87 octane. I see a bunch of you reporting 18-20 city and 20-22 highway. Are you guys running premium fuel or driving super conservatively? I’m not too much of a lead foot but I want to make sure I don’t have an issue with tuning or the adaptive transmission not running as efficiently as possible.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Running that fast you wont get anywhere near the epa est. I usually run about 72 with cc, barely run mine at 75 and the drop is significant. At 72 i get 22, 75 about 19. Try running at 65, i get 25+ at that speed. Thats the only negative about the eb, if you have to wrk it, it will happily, but at a cost to your efficiency.

Tampa Expedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am only getting about 14.5 in the city, but mine is true city without any freeway driving. I was never impressed with the mileage in my exsploer sport either. I think if you push these engine hard it really cuts into the gas mileage more than a v8. On the highway around 20 with a luggage carrier on top at 74 and eco drive mode.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Running that fast you wont get anywhere near the epa est. I usually run about 72 with cc, barely run mine at 75 and the drop is significant. At 72 i get 22, 75 about 19. Try running at 65, i get 25+ at that speed. Thats the only negative about the eb, if you have to wrk it, it will happily, but at a cost to your efficiency.

This. On our last road trip I had the 30 minute mpg screen up to watch it. Doing 80-85 I was getting 15ish. Got behind a tractor-trailer doing 65 for a while and it jumped into the mid to high 20s. I think the 65-70 mph zone is the sweet spot. Anything above that and the EB is sucking dead dinos a lot faster.

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Air resistance is related to the square of your speed. Twice the speed means four times the wind resistance. Steady 65MPH will get you maybe 23MPG. On my first tank, combined city/highway, I'm getting about 21MPG. I've driven about 280 miles, the DTE reads about 300 miles. At 82MPH, your air resistance and probably the tire rolling resistance is 60% higher than at 65MPH.

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Running 80+ your mpgs are gonna suck. Drop it to 70 and you should see a big improvement.

proeasy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Drove mine brand new home from Chicago, cruise set at 77 (waze indicated 78) for 300 mile computer indicated 20, that included a closure/detour off I94 for about 15 miles (Expy Max, with Tow) I think the 3.73 gears may actually help MPG in the city a bit, get the big rig rolling easier and into higher gears sooner but with negative impact on the highway

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Drove mine brand new home from Chicago, cruise set at 77 (waze indicated 78) for 300 mile computer indicated 20, that included a closure/detour off I94 for about 15 miles (Expy Max, with Tow) I think the 3.73 gears may actually help MPG in the city a bit, get the big rig rolling easier and into higher gears sooner but with negative impact on the highway

That doesn't make a lot of sense. First gear with the 3.31 gears is plenty low to get it rolling. I think it actually starts off in 3d gear often.

Last edited:

proeasy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That doesn't make a lot of sense. Fisrt gear with the 3.31 gears is plenty low to get it rolling. I think it actually starts off in 3d gear often.

I do not think they will launch in 3rd at 2.14:1. when 1st and 2nd will allow the engine to stay at optimum Speed/RPM more often. This would lug the engine too much and negates the effectivity of small gear steps in modern 8, 9 and 10 speeds

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I do not think they will launch in 3rd at 2.14:1. when 1st and 2nd will allow the engine to stay at optimum Speed/RPM more often. This would lug the engine too much and negates the effectivity of small gear steps in modern 8, 9 and 10 speeds

I'll check it when I drive home if I can remember. Overall, the 3.31 should give better mileage, o/w the 3.73 would be standard, right?

Edit: When I drove home tonight I paid particular attention to the gear selection. It drops into 1st gear when you come to a full stop. When you accelerate, the trans shifts to 3d very quickly, as in 1/2 way through the intersection or less. It skips 2nd entirely, so it essentially starts off in 3d. Maybe it's because I've been driving with a feather foot, but that's what I'm seeing. By the time I'm at 35MPH it's in 7th gear. Bottom line, I don't believe that 3.73 gears improve city MPG.

Last edited: