2018 Expedition XLT Gas Mileage Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Googley74

Reaction score
We did our first road trip in our 2018 Expedition this past weekend. We drove from Fort Worth to Austin and I reset the trip miles on the way back and we got 23.7 miles per gallon. My speed was between 72-80 mph. By the way, I love the adaptive cruise control feature as well. Slowed me right down when someone would jump in front of me. It was awesome!

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We did our first road trip in our 2018 Expedition this past weekend. We drove from Fort Worth to Austin and I reset the trip miles on the way back and we got 23.7 miles per gallon. My speed was between 72-80 mph. By the way, I love the adaptive cruise control feature as well. Slowed me right down when someone would jump in front of me. It was awesome!

Which model? Standard or Max? 4WD or 2WD?

Meeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Another data point: drove from Calgary AB to Emerald Lake near Field BC. Total distance about 450km. Got 9.2 L/100km which is 25.5 mpg US!

And yes, this could be considered slightly "hyper-miling". Most of the trip (~75%) was in a 90km/h zone and I drove 60 mph (95 km/h) most of the time. Up to 68 mph for the rest. It was a round trip so wind and hills should have cancelled out.

2018 Expy XLT standard length, HD Tow

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
FWIW, the owners manual does say that you should pretty much ignore the fuel economy numbers until you've got 2000 miles on it...

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Another data point: drove from Calgary AB to Emerald Lake near Field BC. Total distance about 450km. Got 9.2 L/100km which is 25.5 mpg US!

And yes, this could be considered slightly "hyper-miling". Most of the trip (~75%) was in a 90km/h zone and I drove 60 mph (95 km/h) most of the time. Up to 68 mph for the rest. It was a round trip so wind and hills should have cancelled out.

2018 Expy XLT standard length, HD Tow

4WD or 2WD?

FWIW, the owners manual does say that you should pretty much ignore the fuel economy numbers until you've got 2000 miles on it...

Yes, but that's probably because it improves after 2000 miles, which is a good thing.

Meeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's a 4WD (all HD Tow are 4WD aren't they?).

Next weekend we're doing a similar trip to Radium BC - but towing a travel trailer. Looking forward to seeing how it tows now that we've gone past the 1600 km break-in period. Not looking forward to the gas bill but hey that's the price for towing a house behind you...

View media item 6579

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's a 4WD (all HD Tow are 4WD aren't they?).

Next weekend we're doing a similar trip to Radium BC - but towing a travel trailer. Looking forward to seeing how it tows now that we've gone past the 1600 km break-in period. Not looking forward to the gas bill but hey that's the price for towing a house behind you...

View media item 6579

No, the HD Tow Package and 4WD are different options.

Meeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I went to the ford.ca website and tried a build. There isn't even an option there to delete 4x4. I guess only a dealer can do it when sending in the order. It's too bad the online stuff doesn't match what is actually possible.

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Probably because you're in Canada where I expect most people would want 4WD. Not necessary in many parts of the US. Not sure what the ratio is between 2WD and 4WD here, but many in the southern US don't really need it.

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Probably because you're in Canada where I expect most people would want 4WD. Not necessary in many parts of the US. Not sure what the ratio is between 2WD and 4WD here, but many in the southern US don't really need it.

Have you ever been stuck in wet clay or sand? Still a need for them here especially if you have a fishing boat.

Personally I will never purchase a truck or suv without AWD or 4x4 even if I don't need it often, there will be that 1 time you wish you had it plus resale is so much easier than 2wd trucks/SUVs.