2018 Expedition XLT Gas Mileage Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Amateurs. And I used premium.

img_2633-jpg.25569
That's more like it! Haha. I'm at 5500 miles and have racked up an average 16mpg and thats with about 3000 in combined highway roadtrips. I think Shane and I maybe drive a little more similarly than Paddler and I.

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's more like it! Haha. I'm at 5500 miles and have racked up an average 16mpg and thats with about 3000 in combined highway roadtrips. I think Shane and I maybe drive a little more similarly than Paddler and I.

Yep. Eco mode, "calm" driver. Grandpa, rolling chicane.

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Okay, this is weird. Been averaging a bit more 20MPG. Second fillup, so third tank of gas, at 22.8MPG. I have 150.5 miles on this tank, the computer shows 498 MTE. That's 650 miles on a tank of gas. Yikes!

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Okay, this is weird. Been averaging a bit more 20MPG. Second fillup, so third tank of gas, at 22.8MPG. I have 150.5 miles on this tank, the computer shows 498 MTE. That's 650 miles on a tank of gas. Yikes!
That sounds a little off lol I do wonder what the MTE are based on because mine changes from tank to tank upon filling up. It will state anywhere from 380 to 420.

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That sounds a little off lol I do wonder what the MTE are based on because mine changes from tank to tank upon filling up. It will state anywhere from 380 to 420.

It uses data from your last mileage, I think. Not sure if it's the mileage shown cumulative for trip 1 or trip 2, or the mileage for the last 30 minutes of driving. It wasn't that far off, it would have been 23.1 as opposed to the 22.8 it was showing. I would expect your MTE to vary a bit.

mssbf2011

Reaction score
It uses data from your last mileage, I think. Not sure if it's the mileage shown cumulative for trip 1 or trip 2, or the mileage for the last 30 minutes of driving. It wasn't that far off, it would have been 23.1 as opposed to the 22.8 it was showing. I would expect your MTE to vary a bit.

After I've towed the camper for 300-400 miles over the weekend, the MTE shows around 210 after filling the tank. Takes about 3-5 days before it gets back to the MTE >380. I've tried resetting both Trip 1 & 2, but that does not seem to fix it. :emotions34:

Jeffrey Long

Reaction score
Just finished our first road trip... 2018 Platinum Expedition 4x4, went from central Texas to Port Canaveral, FL, then over to Orlando, FL and finally back to Central Texas. No towing involved but 4 adult sized folks with a full complement of luggage in the back for a 9 day trip. The speed limit on I-10 is 70 mph for most of the way, so I had the cruise control set at 73 for 90% of the trip, I also used regular unleaded (87 octane) exclusively for this trip and the ECO driving mode was used for about 95% of the trip. I ran in 2H mode for most of the trip, but coming home we ran into some bad thunderstorms so I engaged 4A mode for about 60 miles, interestingly running in 4A mode did not appear to impact MPG at all. Having a couple of teenage girls on board meant that there were frequent stops along the way to "freshen up". Here are the numbers:

Trip Time - 39.31 hours (62.35 mph average)
Miles Driven - 2451
Average MPG - 20.8

Best MTE seen - 521 (22.36mpg)
Best Fuel History - 20.9

I am not sure what criteria is used for the calculations, but as you can see the Trip computer, fuel history and MTE all had different values. All in all the 2018 Expedition did fantastic and in my opinion was the most comfortable and easiest vehicle to drive that I have ever owned. We did have one annoyance on the trip, the rear drivers side tire pressure sensor stopped sending info 5 or 6 different times during the trip throwing any error up on the Driver Info Screen, however the sensor would resume sending data again after a couple of minutes and work normally again for a while.

While none of this information or data was collected using scientific methods, I do feel like the numbers are realistically what most folks can expect on long distance non-towing road trips.

YMMV,
dusty

Last edited:

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
After I've towed the camper for 300-400 miles over the weekend, the MTE shows around 210 after filling the tank. Takes about 3-5 days before it gets back to the MTE >380. I've tried resetting both Trip 1 & 2, but that does not seem to fix it. :emotions34:
On mine, buried under the settings (all the way to the right on the dashboard display) is the option to choose between the "towing" MTE and the not-towing MTE. I didn't notice it until this weekend, which was a couple of weeks after I last towed our trailer, so I haven't had a chance to see what it does...

Damon

Reaction score
I know that tracking economy below 2,000 miles is supposed to be useless, but here's my initial report.
At about 1,400 miles, about 75% stoplight-to-stoplight, ultra-short-hop errand running; and about 25% in-city interstate commuting, our last MTE on regular gas (the third tank) showed 510 and our lifetime (we haven't reset it) FE shows 18.1. When we took delivery, it was 15.8).

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Towed my boat 120 miles round trip to a reservoir to fish. Reset the gauge when I pulled out of the driveway. Computer says 14.2MPG, which is a 37% improvement over my 2008. I think it will drop a bit, but it looks to be very good.

Also, the sag for my boat is maybe 1 1/4", maybe 1 1/2", measured at the ball. Not bad, and it doesn't seem like load leveling is necessary for my situation.

Last edited: