2018 Ford Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A member from anither forum found this out by using the lincoln navigator inventory search. I spoke to a dealer whose order showed up on the inventory search, he said they should be receiving it around end of october. Question for me is, is a 12hr trip for an earlier buy worth it. There is one about 3 hrs away but its not the model i wanted and im not willing to pay that much more for it.

You know what, I personally think a 12 hour trip for a vehicle you really want is worth it because it’ll leave you with a nice story to remember. Plus if you get to drive it back it’ll be a really nice bonding experience with your new ride. I would do it just for those reasons alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A member from anither forum found this out by using the lincoln navigator inventory search. I spoke to a dealer whose order showed up on the inventory search, he said they should be receiving it around end of october. Question for me is, is a 12hr trip for an earlier buy worth it. There is one about 3 hrs away but its not the model i wanted and im not willing to pay that much more for it.
If you do it you have to remember that Ford still wants you to vary the engine speed over the first 1000 miles. So that means don't jump on the highway and do 75 MPH for 12 hours. I think you would want to go through a bunch of heating and cooling cycles on the engine in the first 1000 miles. I could be wrong but I always wind up thinking about stuff like that.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If he can wprk out a good deal for me, i may have 2. I agree the bonding experience would make all of it worthwhile.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 2018 Fleet guide lists Race Red as an available exterior color. (Race, not Ruby Red)

Contacted my sales guy for details. We figured this was marketing intended for a Fire Dept but he went on to say Race Red wasn't showing available on 2018 SSV Expedition, which one might expect a Fire Dept to source. He is stumped and is going to reach out to his fleet guy for further details, but I thought I'd toss it out here for those in the know.

The fleet brochure below references an XL model as fleet exclusive.

http://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/brochures/2018/2018_Expedition.pdf

Thoughts?

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 2018 Fleet guide lists Race Red as an available exterior color. (Race, not Ruby Red)

Contacted my sales guy for details. We figured this was marketing intended for a Fire Dept but he went on to say Race Red wasn't showing available on 2018 SSV Expedition, which one might expect a Fire Dept to source. He is stumped and is going to reach out to his fleet guy for further details, but I thought I'd toss it out here for those in the know.

The fleet brochure below references an XL model as fleet exclusive.

http://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/brochures/2018/2018_Expedition.pdf

Thoughts?
I saw this and thought the same thing. I like that red color but I don’t think it would look good on that truck, that’s a lot of really bright red, like a rolling tomato truck.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And here I am worried that Ruby Red will be too bright for my tastes...

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
FWIW, got my answer: the 2017 specs for fleet carry over to 2018. So a fleet-only XL model can be procured in Race Red with ebony or medium stone cloth interior.

Whats a fleet-only XL model you ask? An SSV is an XL mode WITH the 102A package. Both lengths, 2 and 4WD.

The SSV 102A deletes alloy wheels, deletes 3rd row, changes 2nd row to vinyl, changes carpet to vinyl, eliminates front center console and shifter gets moved to column, deletes fixed running boards, and a few other things.

Told my sales guy we aren't going to be interested as we'd probably want to look at a Limited, so pricing wasn't even mentioned. But would imagine minimal savings if any versus a bare-bones XLT.

Here is an uncommon race red 2017 XL SSV

88d3257bca26871f58e34eb074a2354d.jpg

And an even more uncommon Gen 3 fleet XL without SSV:
AC75A1C0-0391-415A-ADA4-52116A1DF706_11.jpg

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And here I am worried that Ruby Red will be too bright for my tastes...
I had a ruby red fusion and it was a great color, especially on sunny days. I think the ruby red is a great color.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m not really a fan of red, isn’t that ironic. The only reason it was acceptable on my truck is it has the metallic flakes in the paint so it doesn’t look like a race car. Redfire Metallic is the color in 07.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m not really a fan of red, isn’t that ironic. The only reason it was acceptable on my truck is it has the metallic flakes in the paint so it doesn’t look like a race car. Redfire Metallic is the color in 07.
Metallic in red really sets the color off I think, way more than the metallic in the white Ford uses now. Both look good though.