2018 FX4 and Trailer Towing Packages? Why?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If I buy the FX4 package is there really any reason to get the trailer tow package, too? As far as I can tell, if you've selected the FX4 package, the only thing you get with the trailer tow package is the integrated brake controller and the back-up pro assist. I can see the back up pro assist being useful with a boat trailer but we have a travel trailer, not a boat. And the integrated trailer brake controller is nice, but the package is $1100 and I can get a trailer brake controller installed for just a couple hundred. (Cross posted to the gen 4 forum.)

OP
OP
shane_th_ee

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The towing package is $1500 without the FX4 package and $1100 with the FX4 package.

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
integrated brake controller in my opinion is a must.
It does more than just control the brakes like a prodigy controller,
yes you can add it later using a ford oem controller and an ecm update.
for me since 2006 when they first put them in the trucks, they are worth it.
your getting more than a controller for 1100

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why wouldn’t you want the trailer backup assist with a travel trailer? Backing into parking spots or camping spots with that would be amazing imo

OP
OP
shane_th_ee

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why wouldn’t you want the trailer backup assist with a travel trailer?
The question is really would you rather have the trailer backup assist or $600. For the record, we went ahead and ordered both the FX4 package and the max trailer tow package...

OP
OP
shane_th_ee

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
integrated brake controller in my opinion is a must. It does more than just control the brakes like a prodigy controller,
yes you can add it later using a ford oem controller and an ecm update.
for me since 2006 when they first put them in the trucks, they are worth it.
your getting more than a controller for 1100
What does the integrated trailer brake controller do that an aftermarket controller doesn't?

Reaction score
Having trouble finding transmission cooler info. This is often an important towing package component.
Yeah tow package for me would be a priority, there might even be a higher axle ratio for the towing package too. It's not going to be 1,100 dollars to go back and add everything later..

And yeah I would love to have an integrated controller on my 2011, I had to mount it down below the steering wheel and it's not great for quick access.