2018 Rear Entertainment Initial Feedback

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I see one issue, and it is a big one. The Bluetooth audio delay!!!!!!!! Something will have to be done about that. Boy they could have really done a great job by hardwiring the displays to the sync system for sound. Should have been a permanent source.

My daughter would probably use her own beats plugged into the tv most of the time. But with the ability to watch live tv, there will be many times I would want to listen along with up front. We watch a lot of the same programs, and lots of sports.

Otherwise, it works great. I have a sling box on one of my Directv boxes at home and the sling player works great to stream any live channel and any recorded show off of our Directv system.

I had a right angle hdmi cable waiting and used it to plug an appletv into the display, it is perfect and what will use 99% of the time. I will be fishing the hdmi from under the seat to the headrest to leave it permanently installed under the seat or preferably in the center console.

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok, let me touch back on this. I very quickly played with Sling earlier. I didn’t convey how ridiculously awesome that feature is!!! I just went out and played with it for about 10-15 minutes. It works better than the sling player app on my iPhone/iPad. I mean flawless. We will be using this A LOT!!! So that leaves the Bluetooth audio............ That is truly an issue. Fix the audio and this thing is a winner winner chicken dinner. I do understand the concern mentioned of controlling things via the front, but I personally do not have that problem as anyone ever sitting in the back of our truck would be capable of controlling it. I will say it would be very difficult to simply and legally allow the driver to control the plethora of media options back there. Play, stop, pause, a dvd, yes. Play from sling, hdmi, usb, mirracast, etc..............

The one good thing for you moms and dads needing a way to control it. You will have no issue finding a suitable "designated controller" to sit in the back and keep the system going. Now who referees the fights over who watches what.............

7ClTFnh.jpg
Kf5COXt.jpg
3ITT193.jpg

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are some of the Apple TV. This is just plugged in and laying on the floor.

qDeJAo4.jpg
7LHrSBN.jpg
D1srLna.jpg

Interesting setup. So I'm assuming you're using your car's own wifi for this? How responsive is it while driving? I guess it depends on the cell signal too.

Clemson82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a similar setup using a Roku mounted under the seat. We use an iPhone as a hotspots and it works really well. As long as your cell phone has a signal, you're good to go.

OP
OP
zarga

zarga

Reaction score
How did you get Sling to connect? Has anyone successfully used a Chromecase/Roku/Fire stick? We keep getting an error that we can't connect to the internet, but our phones and laptops connect fine.

OP
OP
zarga

zarga

Reaction score
Anyone? anyone?

Does the slingplayer in the headrest require a slingbox or can it use sling? And can anyone explain the differences with all the slinging? I'm an old school CD listening and DVD watching mom who can't make heads of tails of all this technology.

Since we have an att data plan and wifi, should be be able to connect a chromcast or fire stick?

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sling requires a Slingbox in the home connected to a cable or satellite box. Or if you have Dish Network, Slingbox is built in.

I am not using the in car WiFi, so not sure why a chrome cast, etc. would not connect. ATT does not work well where we live. So I use, my phone (or wife or daughters) phone to tether to. It works fine.

Something to think about, our data plan gives us 15GB per device for tethering. So between our 3 phones we have 45GB to use to tether the TVs (for sling) or the appletv.

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How are you guys going to hide the cables?
Not sure, definitely down the seat back, but not sure yet how I will get the wire into the seat. I need a much thinner hdmi to try to work with. I would like to tuck it into the opening in the leather that the headrest poles go through. If necessary and if we all feel the appletv is necessary, I have considered having an upholsterer cutting and stitching a small opening for it to go into.