2018 Rear Entertainment Initial Feedback

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
zarga

zarga

Reaction score
Thanks. So for OTA folks like us, it sounds like Sling won't work; we don't have a box and the Sling a la Cart won't work. I would be curious to hear if anyone can get a Chromecast working. We get the same "no internet" error that Sling gives us. We can connect everything else fine, so I'm wondering if Chromecast is even possible.

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
that is really weird!! not sure why chromecast wouldnt work. is there a way to default the chromecast and start from scratch? also, maybe try an amazon fire stick. there is definitely the possibility that ATT/ford put restrictions/firewalls other techniques to restrict the use of a device like this, but...........

OP
OP
zarga

zarga

Reaction score
We bought a v2 Chromecast and tried to set the whole thing up. Nada. (We have v1 on a TV in the house, so we've done a set up before. v1 didn't work in the car either.)

We have some weirdness going on and I'm trying to figure out is any of it is related. I'm registered on the owners.ford.com site and it says my car does not have a wifi hotspot. I'm signed up with att and all the correct info is on their site, but I don't have any att info in the Ford Pass app like I'm supposed to. It's like the accounts didn't get linked or something. We can run tablets and phones from the wifi in the car, but since we can't do Sling or Chromecast I'm trying to figure out if there is a wifi/att/ford issue somewhere, or if, as you said, Ford put up some kind of firewall.

Thanks for your help.

rcompart

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve spent some time throughout the past month and a half pouring through any documentation I can find relating to the RSE and the audio system and in my search I’ve come up with several things that make me wish I went with an aftermarket RSE over this one. The audio lag is a product of the Bluetooth audio processing through Sync, not the RSE. Connect the monitors to a portable bluetooth speaker and the lip sync is no longer an issue. That being said, I did find out that the video can be delayed to minimize the audio/video sync issues by clicking the three-bar CONTEXT button on the remote, selecting the BLUETOOTH option on the right hand side of the screen and then you can change the video delay in ms. I have mine at 1450ms and it’s about as good as it gets for me. It’s sometimes very slightly delayed, spot on or even a bit fast but a marked improvement nonetheless.

As for building something to pipe audio directly into the amplifier, control the displays from the front and possibly add additional inputs, the RSE is completely contained within the headrests and the only external connections are for power with everything else between the two displays via GMSL so no simple method to gain access to audio or video streams to create a discrete connection between the RSE and amp or enable seeing the menus from the Sync display in the front. Kinda bummed out about that as it’s not going to be a cheap endeavor to get this working how I think it should which is something simple to control from both the front or rear seating positions, something that is easy to get going after stops and something that allows additional inputs to be connected in a hidden and protected low-traffic area of the vehicle.

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve spent some time throughout the past month and a half pouring through any documentation I can find relating to the RSE and the audio system and in my search I’ve come up with several things that make me wish I went with an aftermarket RSE over this one. The audio lag is a product of the Bluetooth audio processing through Sync, not the RSE. Connect the monitors to a portable bluetooth speaker and the lip sync is no longer an issue. That being said, I did find out that the video can be delayed to minimize the audio/video sync issues by clicking the three-bar CONTEXT button on the remote, selecting the BLUETOOTH option on the right hand side of the screen and then you can change the video delay in ms. I have mine at 1450ms and it’s about as good as it gets for me. It’s sometimes very slightly delayed, spot on or even a bit fast but a marked improvement nonetheless.

As for building something to pipe audio directly into the amplifier, control the displays from the front and possibly add additional inputs, the RSE is completely contained within the headrests and the only external connections are for power with everything else between the two displays via GMSL so no simple method to gain access to audio or video streams to create a discrete connection between the RSE and amp or enable seeing the menus from the Sync display in the front. Kinda bummed out about that as it’s not going to be a cheap endeavor to get this working how I think it should which is something simple to control from both the front or rear seating positions, something that is easy to get going after stops and something that allows additional inputs to be connected in a hidden and protected low-traffic area of the vehicle.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Do you know of a good aftermarket RSE that you could recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Great info on the delay!!!! Thanks.

rcompart

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@edizzle, did you have a chance to play around with the delay? I'm curious how many ms delay you (or anyone else for that matter) had to use to get the audio in sync with the video.

Garrett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm assuming the answer is yes toy question, but I'll ask anyways..

Can you have two different ohones streaming two different things to the two RSE screens with audio through the individual headphones, then Bluetooth audio playing on the speakers for the driver and front passenger?

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming the answer is yes toy question, but I'll ask anyways..

Can you have two different ohones streaming two different things to the two RSE screens with audio through the individual headphones, then Bluetooth audio playing on the speakers for the driver and front passenger?

Did you order the RSE with your Platinum?