2018 spotted

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
First time seeing a 2018 last night. Thought it was an explorer from the back bc of the tail lights, a Chevy suburban from the side bc,well that’s what Ford copied, then thought to myself thank god I bought a ‘16. Fugly!

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haha i don’t mind the 18’ but i like the third gen a bit better for it’s higher road stance and more truck like feel. If you want to see fugly look at the new F-150 or Super Duty, those are bad.

Last edited:

Garrett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm shopping and still can't decide. Interior and twch on the ford is amazing, but the Denali looks so much better.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Denalis are too common, but if you love the denali that much, id save the money and get one. Get the one your heart wants, all the other stuff wont matter. My dad loves ow his escalade looks but says all the time its not the best thing he owned. The looks of the gms are overrated just like everything else about em lol.

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dealer on my way to daughters school has a whole row of 18's. Stopped last week to look at them up close and they aren't bad. The platinum is really sweet. The XLT's are horrible and look like big explorers

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm shopping and still can't decide. Interior and twch on the ford is amazing, but the Denali looks so much better.

I totally agree, the Denali looks so much better its nuts. The thing that held me back from running to the GM dealer to buy one and instead first gave me pause, and then caused me to reconsider and look elsewhere...to the 2018 Expy, is this:

• the GM 2015+ redesigned Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon/Escalade all have huge quality issues. Everything breaks on them
  • the GM's have problems with unfixable booming, buffeting, and vibrations. Not all of them have it, but if you get one that does its hell and it'll make you sick just driving it, and there is no fix. This is well documented, let me know if you need more info
  • the 2018 Expy has way better technology and some features, for example: 360 degree camera, full stop/start semi-autonomous system/pedestrian warning, and that panoramic sunroof is to die for.
However, some things I like better on the Denali is it looks like a million dollars (from the outside). And functionally, I like it that it has two tv screens that drop down from the ceiling on the Yukon XL Denali, one for the second row and one for the third, and they play the SAME program. This may not be big deal to you but I have 3 small boys and if if those tvs aren't visible to EVERYONE "fairly", there will be a problem. Having 2 screens in the Expy headrests leaves one of the boys out of luck, especially if the 2 screens are playing different shows. With my kids its much easier to put in a movie that they all like and be done with it. This is how we do it in our Sequoia now and it works beautifully.

So its been a tough decision but I also don't think I couldn't handle all the quality issues with GM. Many, many customers' Suburban/Yukon XLs spend weeks and weeks in the shop (under warranty) every year with their semi-new vehicles.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can play the same or different program with the expy dvd units. I also believe you only need one dvd to play on both screens. You can also play more media. I do agree the third row roof mounted screen is better for third row passengers though, but not all gm utes have the dual dvd unit system.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I totally agree, the Denali looks so much better its nuts. The thing that held me back from running to the GM dealer to buy one and instead first gave me pause, and then caused me to reconsider and look elsewhere...to the 2018 Expy, is this:

• the GM 2015+ redesigned Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon/Escalade all have huge quality issues. Everything breaks on them
  • the GM's have problems with unfixable booming, buffeting, and vibrations. Not all of them have it, but if you get one that does its hell and it'll make you sick just driving it, and there is no fix. This is well documented, let me know if you need more info
  • the 2018 Expy has way better technology and some features, for example: 360 degree camera, full stop/start semi-autonomous system/pedestrian warning, and that panoramic sunroof is to die for.
However, some things I like better on the Denali is it looks like a million dollars (from the outside). And functionally, I like it that it has two tv screens that drop down from the ceiling on the Yukon XL Denali, one for the second row and one for the third, and they play the SAME program. This may not be big deal to you but I have 3 small boys and if if those tvs aren't visible to EVERYONE "fairly", there will be a problem. Having 2 screens in the Expy headrests leaves one of the boys out of luck, especially if the 2 screens are playing different shows. With my kids its much easier to put in a movie that they all like and be done with it. This is how we do it in our Sequoia now and it works beautifully.

So its been a tough decision but I also don't think I couldn't handle all the quality issues with GM. Many, many customers' Suburban/Yukon XLs spend weeks and weeks in the shop (under warranty) every year with their semi-new vehicles.

Not to knock your logic but the 4th gen Expedition could be the biggest piece of garbage ford has ever made. We don’t know what the quality is, we have to wait a year or more. GM has most of the issues worked out on the 17’ and 18’ models now. The buffering came both from headliners and flexing roofs, i suspect they quietly thickened the roofs and switched headliner glue. The other thing about the 4th gen is i feel lower to the road sitting in one than my current truck, where as a GMC feels very close in height. I also agree with 07xln but not only on the Expedition, today any economy based trim under ford is fugly, where as they looked good until recently.

Last edited:

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I have the dual headrest dvd system in my EL and love it. I to have 3 kids 2 boys 7 & 5 and a little girl 10 months. The boys sit in the 2nd row and the girl in the 3rd. My kids are the opposite. If they had only one movie to watch they’d fight. I can put 2 different movies in and they watch their own flick. If they decide to say screw it and want to watch what the other one is watching they can push the source button and watch each other’s feed. A can watch B and B can watch A. The little girl doesn’t watch tv yet as she is rear facing but when she’s old enough and we’re able to turn her around I plan to add a drop down screen for her that can play her own movie or feed off either of the boys screens. My only issue is I can’t control any of the screens from my seat upfront. We have to get movies started before we hit the road.

My brother has a 12 Denali with the 2nd and 3rd row drop downs. He only has two kids so the 3rd row screen is useless but he said his kids are constantly fighting because they don’t want to watch the same thing. He has a boy and a girl so I’m sure you can imagine lol.

hunter991

Reaction score
IMO the GM SUV looks light years better. I was one that was going to wait for the Expy, but once i saw it i bought a Tahoe Premier. Not that its ugly, just not as nice looking as the Tahoe. I also tow, and i can't stand the squatting with the Expy. The tahoe i have pumps up the rear shocks and wallah, it just looks great. I haven't had any issues with my 2017 as of yet. I hope i don't. But i think all of the mfg's have issues at some point. I really wanted a new Sequioa which i had previous to my Tahoe, but Toyota is also light years behind in design. Ford could have made the new Expy to look much better and i am not sure what they were thinking. The previous version to the 2017 design was the best looking. I had a 2010 expy and it was still the best looking SUV they made. To me the new one looks like a large ford flex wagon. Since the interiors and options are all pretty much the same now days with the high end SUV's, the way the truck looks is one of the determining factors. I have every option in my premier, way to much to ever use. The 2015 GM SUV was the trouble year, 2016 got better and 2017 is supposed to have most of the issues worked out. I have no buffeting or vibration on mine.