2018 Wheel Options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MiddKid

Reaction score
My 2018 Platinum Max is scheduled to arrive in mid-January. This is our family workhorse and it will be driving up to the mountains multiple times a week on snow/Ice covered roads. On our current SUV I run Blizzaks from Nov-Mar.

I didn’t want the 22” rims on the Expy but we did want the Platinum. Not a huge deal since we swap out our wheels each fall. So I have a few questions:

- I’ll likely land up with 20” wheels for the winter. I assume it’s not an issue to swap the stock 22s with 20s? I have zero understanding of the CCD system but I assume that despite it coming with stock 22s, it’s not an issue to put 20s on it?

- I’ve used tire rack in the past for a full tire/wheel package. Because they haven’t gotten their hands on an Expy yet, they won’t sell me a 20” wheel. They said: “Needed information would be not just bolt circle, but also hub diameter and extension, brake caliper clearance, offset, load capacity, pad depth, etc. As soon as we can get a car in and have a better idea of the measurements, we will be happy to get the fitment on our system.“ Is there a way around this? Can I get I info on the stock 20s on the Limited and pass it on? Can I point to a specific wheel out there that we know works? Any other recommended tire dealers? I’m just trying to get ahead of the game. I don’t want to take delivery in mid-Jan and face a trip to the mountains without the right wheels! I asked my dealer and the parts guy quoted me a package that was 2x the price that I could pay elsewhere. Not interested.

Thanks for any info.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Discount Tire's website claims to have a pile of wheels that will fit a 2018 Expedition Max Platinum 4x4. Dunno if your local discount tire has any in stock or not...

Pini

Reaction score
Not sure how much of a difference if any at all it would be going from 22s to 20s. Maybe you'll have a more noticeable difference going from 22s to 18s?
I'm a huge fan of the big wheels(22s) on these newer SUVs. Except for those horrible 22s that are on the 18 Navi...whoever gave the green light on them should be fired!

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Quasi related: I saw on another forum that someone who had a Platinum on order was told by his dealer that the Platinum 22s were on back-order with no indication of when they might be back in stock. Obviously I have no idea if that's accurate or not, but it does make me worry about my Platinum Max that's supposedly got a build week of January 15th.

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think the ‘18 Navi select and reserve wheels are incredible!! When I get a minute I will post some of the wheels I am considering. Here is one I really like but am intrigued by more spokes (turbine) like the Navi.
cnKu2yz.jpg

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
NEBdy8J.jpg
They are matte silver with a diamond cut/polished lip. Hard to tell in the picture. What do you think?

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They both look good, i do prefer tbe first ones more though

jgudnason

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i got a set of 20" rims from my dealer (from an F150) as my winter rims. So OEM 22" with rubber will be my summer tire, and putting Nokian Hakka 9 Studded on the 20" (275/55 R20).
dealer did have to swap out the TPMS sensors in the 20" rims to match the Exped though.

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
for pre 18's the 22" wheels with ccd and the 20" wheels without ccd.
22 to 20 might make it ride a bit different as the sidewall is shorter for the 22, you may find the luxury setting with 22s to be a bit too soft with 20s
i would if it was me drive with 22 on all three settings and get real world butt feel
then toss on the 20s and do the same thing with all three settings. but i imagine again based on the experience i had testing expys when we bough the 2016 that the normal is best for the 20's due to sidewall height differences. but then this is just me