2019 New Owner Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RyanS

Reaction score
Just bought it last night. Got a great deal on a 2019 Max Limited 4x4 and have a few questions to see if others have similar things. Our 2017 Explorer has the reverse camera that has the moving guide lines. There is an option in the 2019 Expy, but they don't show. I have turned the option on and off a few times but the moving lines don't show. Yes, I know this is more of a luxury, but I'd like to have it. Any suggestions on this?

Second question: We noticed a noise from the rear of the vehicle when driving. Kinda like a whine. The dealer we got it from said he's heard it in rentals that the noise was there on them. There is no pulling to either side and vehicle seems to travel without any issues that would make me concerned like something was happening bad. Does anyone notice a loud tire whine like sound from the rear? I guess could just be the tires that are on there, but I don't hear it from the front. Just curious if others have heard it from their's since he claimed to have heard it in a Expy rental.

I also saw in a post that wasn't fully answered where the wireless charger wasn't properly working. I'm not sure if ours works or not. I do know my phone is compatible but don't know if it works or not and have tried other phones as well. Is this charging pad worth replacing or do people just tend to use it more for holding the phone? I'm used to an actual phone holder in my other vehicles I have had. How do you place your phone in yours?

And apologies if I didn't post correctly, I don't normally post on forums!

Thank you all!

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
19 Limited Strealth 4x4 w/HD Tow non-max

I dont have any whine while driving at any speed from rear, so the dealer is full of it in my opinion and avoiding diag/repair costs. Is the whine only present at highway speeds? If so maybe it could be the tires..?

If they keep saying that a whine is normal, id bring it to a diff ford for a second opinion. Did you buy it at a ford dealer?

Last edited:

2020-MAX-Limited

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How many miles on her? Just change the rear diff lube.

Have you tried drive mode gravel/grass/snow to see if there's a whine from the front diff too? In this mode, the front diff is always providing torque to the fronts. You can see it if you go to the off-road power distribution display.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There should be a charging icon for the charger. It can be iffy esp if u have a case on your phone, but if it's not working, it needs to be replaced

ccssid

Reaction score
I picked up a 2021 CPO, non max/ HDTowing with 17000 miles. Brought it to dealer to check the under-carriage etc a couple of times. They told me all is o.k. I took to independent mechanic to change rear differential fluid (I thought it may have been submerged in water). The fluid had lots of gray matter mixed in. But no appearant issues. Meanwhile, while car was up on the hoist, I showed him the rear passenger inner tire area, brake assembly and such. Immediately if not sooner he said your cv boot is cracked ...... grease slung all over. I thought it was caked mud. (Hence, why I thought diff was submerged)

Fast forward. Back to dealer the same day. They replaced complete axle....no issues with dealer.....except.....they performed their 172 point inspection at least 3 times prior on this vehicle and checked "cv" okay. Just food for thought.

C Trost

Reaction score
Just bought it last night. Got a great deal on a 2019 Max Limited 4x4 and have a few questions to see if others have similar things. Our 2017 Explorer has the reverse camera that has the moving guide lines. There is an option in the 2019 Expy, but they don't show. I have turned the option on and off a few times but the moving lines don't show. Yes, I know this is more of a luxury, but I'd like to have it. Any suggestions on this?

Second question: We noticed a noise from the rear of the vehicle when driving. Kinda like a whine. The dealer we got it from said he's heard it in rentals that the noise was there on them. There is no pulling to either side and vehicle seems to travel without any issues that would make me concerned like something was happening bad. Does anyone notice a loud tire whine like sound from the rear? I guess could just be the tires that are on there, but I don't hear it from the front. Just curious if others have heard it from their's since he claimed to have heard it in a Expy rental.

I also saw in a post that wasn't fully answered where the wireless charger wasn't properly working. I'm not sure if ours works or not. I do know my phone is compatible but don't know if it works or not and have tried other phones as well. Is this charging pad worth replacing or do people just tend to use it more for holding the phone? I'm used to an actual phone holder in my other vehicles I have had. How do you place your phone in yours?

And apologies if I didn't post correctly, I don't normally post on forums!

Thank you all!

‘20 XLT HD Tow, 42kmi. I had whine start in the rear at 41kmi. Sound as soon as started moving. Not the tires. Diagnostic to diff pinion bearings. Dealer rebuild the diff with new bearings (3), races, seals, gears good. Uneven wear/contact on the races. Fixed under powertrain warranty. Smooth and quiet now.