2023 Ford Expedition Sudden Acceleration when braking. Brake Failure.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Regal

Reaction score
Experienced sudden acceleration while trying to brake/slow the car down on an exit ramp. To avoid hitting the car ahead, drove the car into the ditch. It was not pedal misapplication. Earlier that day the cruise control failed. I experienced issues with the adaptive cruise control. The car would surge/accelerate to 130 km uncontrollably when set to 100 km. It took me several attempts to cancel the cruise control while depressing the brake pedal and stopped using cruise.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Experienced sudden acceleration while trying to brake/slow the car down on an exit ramp. To avoid hitting the car ahead, drove the car into the ditch. It was not pedal misapplication. Earlier that day the cruise control failed. I experienced issues with the adaptive cruise control. The car would surge/accelerate to 130 km uncontrollably when set to 100 km. It took me several attempts to cancel the cruise control while depressing the brake pedal and stopped using cruise.

Did you try shifting transmission into neutral?

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is only the begenning of all kinds of computer malfunctions causing serious accidents. One sensor fails and The Whole thing tries to kill you. Sure glad we dumbed-down these newer vehicles so todays society can drive without thinking.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Before you break out the tinfoil hat, we need more info.
There’s too many details missing, and even a dealer will struggle to diagnose your issue.
These cars have adaptive cruise with speed sign recognition. When you pass a speed sign and it’s higher than your current speed it will increase the cruise control speed automatically by a proportional amount to what you previously set. I.e. if you were on a 60 road and set it for 80 when you get to an 80 road it will set to 100.
You can turn those features off and adjust how they act in the settings on the screen. It doesn't care if you're on an exit ramp or an freeway. And it doesn't always read the signs correctly. More than once it set my cruise to 70mph when I was exiting a specific service road. It just picked up the highway sign accidentally.
Also you cannot depress the accelerator and the break simultaneously for more than 3-4 seconds. The truck is programmed with a fail safe that cuts engine power when the brake is depressed if you still try to accelerate. It will do it above 20 miles per hour.
Some people have accidentally depressed the cruise control button on the left of the steering wheel, and that could absolutely result in an acceleration event unexpectedly.

BravoAlpha

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Before you break out the tinfoil hat, we need more info.
There’s too many details missing, and even a dealer will struggle to diagnose your issue.
These cars have adaptive cruise with speed sign recognition. When you pass a speed sign and it’s higher than your current speed it will increase the cruise control speed automatically by a proportional amount to what you previously set. I.e. if you were on a 60 road and set it for 80 when you get to an 80 road it will set to 100.
You can turn those features off and adjust how they act in the settings on the screen. It doesn't care if you're on an exit ramp or an freeway. And it doesn't always read the signs correctly. More than once it set my cruise to 70mph when I was exiting a specific service road. It just picked up the highway sign accidentally.
Also you cannot depress the accelerator and the break simultaneously for more than 3-4 seconds. The truck is programmed with a fail safe that cuts engine power when the brake is depressed if you still try to accelerate. It will do it above 20 miles per hour.
Some people have accidentally depressed the cruise control button on the left of the steering wheel, and that could absolutely result in an acceleration event unexpectedly.

This is the first thing that came to my mind. I turned mine off

In the manual, there are dozens of warnings that outline the limitations of the system.