2023 UPDATE, How Does Everyone Feel About Their Tunes and Tuners?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Can’t comment on ZFG.

…but from my personal experience, MPT customer service is far superior & responsive compared to 5 * customer service. MPT initial tunes were also darn-near spot on, out of the gate, and required very little revision, and it was much easier with them to speak to real-live people instead of VM, and additionally, people with great experience & knowledge level at MPT. I can’t say enough how much I was really impressed with my dealings with them.
This is a comment I hear often!

twodollars

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Curious...What did they do for 5.4?
Mine is a 2013. Before when towing the motor would scream and it seemed like not much was happening. After the tune the motor still winds up, but it gets through the gears and keeps accelerating. Actually feels the 300ish hp its advertised at. I've had a little over 7k behind it, through hilly terrain and it did well.

prenticect

Reaction score
I wanted to say thanks for the question and detailed answers here, as I was looking to get a tuner and did not realize a few aspects here. So I was also looking at the SCT or Edge tuners. I was assuming I would use the tuners included with "the kit". It seems I can, but there are significantly better options. The information is here for me to do my research to ensure the head unit can support my truck and maybe future trucks and custom tuners from other places. MPT and ZFG, to mention the ones recommended here.

To add to the questions here, I was looking for a tuner to add a little something to the truck , but also I wanted to adjust the speedo as I have larger tires and I wanted to track temps of whatever was available. I do not really know what these things can tap into and what Ford is capturing. (2017 Expy EL 2WD) The truck has decent power as t, the VIN says I have 3.31 gears yet I can still spin these tires (don't want to but it is too easy to do). I have had zero issues towing or anything... just looking to add that little extra. BUT, I am not looking to do intercooler upgrades, throttlebody upgrades or anything like that. This is really the extent of engine upgrades I am looking for. So factory restrictions are real.

Here are the two specific models I am looking at:

Edge Evolution CTS3 Programmers 85450-150​

I was going to list the SCT, but that is using the 5Star tuner, which was not suggested, so already I have benefited. But in reading unsure if I can add custom tunes or if this head unit is the right type as mentioned. Any words of wisdom, I am listening, thank you. I will continue to look more into the informaiton here as well