3rd Row Power seat trouble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TK-Fett

Reaction score
2006 Expedition, King Ranch

Hey guys I have power 3rd row seating. Its worked perfect the entire time i've had the vehicle, never any issue at all.

Suddenly they won't raise up.

They stay folded 99% of the time so that I can have the extra cargo space. Now neither side will raise. They will each start to come up just like normal, move about three inches and then just kinda stop. Its not a sudden stop they slow down first. After that it ususally take a few seconds before they will go back down.

I've lifted the flaps to inspect the motors and the track and nothing appears to be blocking the seats or the movement of the mechanism.

I did lift the flap an vacuum in that area a few days prior to the issue being found but I didn't do anything that I think would cause the failure and I don't see anything loose or unplugged. It also strikes me as strange that both seats would fail at the same time in the same way.

Is there a relay or fuse somewhere that I can check or do you guys have any other suggestions for me? I don't use these seats often but when I've needed them they have been incredibly useful and I'd hate to lose that feature of my Expy. Third row seating was ony of my must haves when I was shopping.

Thanks,
Tyler

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you attempt to raise them at the same time, using the two switches? Have you tried raising one at a time?

When you attempt to raise the seats and they stop, can you then lower them immediately?

It sounds as though something is interfering with the upward movement and causing the motor to overheat and stop working.

(I have a 2015 Expediton Limited 4x4 with the power fold rear seats - they have two switches as the seats are split.)

46L281GT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had an issue similar to that on my 2004. Try holding the flaps up while unfolding the seat. On mine I had indentions that were deep enough to catch on the flap.