4.6l spark knock or?

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance' started by MJohnson, Oct 12, 2017.

1. MJohnson

MJohnson New Member

Ok so I have a 1998 4.6 l xlt with 300,000 plus miles. New to me after 250,000... So no Idea about the minutes before I got it .But you're recently it's developed a ticking sound in the upper end driver side almost sounds like marbles rattling around in it. It dose it when you accelerate if you let off the gas it goes away alittle but then Comes back I've tried running higher octane fuel....Does no good,It goes away after I get above 70 and at cruising speed..... It also started surging under acceleration thought it was the transmission slipping but tack doesn't move. I don't even know where to start .. Change plugs wires new spark plugs.. no vaccum leaks that i can find so any help would be appericated...

2. ChrisOIFdoc

ChrisOIFdoc Full Access Members

Sounds like it could be slack in the timing chain. May need to change the guides, tensioners, etc...

3. Flexpedition

Flexpedition Full Access Members

^^ agreed with above, would add oil pump on the way out to the mix. 5w20 and Motorcraft filters?

ChrisOIFdoc likes this.
  4. MJohnson

MJohnson New Member

So the timing chain would give the surging on acceleration but the go away at cruzing speed wouldnt the kilcking sound be all the time

5. docraymund

docraymund Full Access Members

Noise like that would be valvetrain noise due to worn parts.