4 months of ownership...'17 Expy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NevadaGeo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We are taking our first trip in June. We are driving out to PA to visit our parents and friends. That'll put 1200-1500 miles on it. I just turned 350 miles today. :) I've had it a little over a month now. I am really enjoying the acceleration off the entrance ramps onto the highway.

So you are babying your new puppy. Only 350 miles?? Still a virgin!!

I drive into Elko NV from Spring Creek which is about 20 miles each way. There is Lamoille summit which has to be passed up and over with each round trip. Going up over the summit, my Expy does not downshift going up the summit like my F-150 had to do with the 5.0 V8 which really surprised me. I love it. The power of the TT is just amazing.

You will enjoy your road trip EAndy!!

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yep its just flat fun to drive a 6400lb suv that will shit and get when needed
the lack of downshifting over the 5.4 i had in the 2010 f150 is killer
nothing beats torque
that was the first thing i noticed in the 2013 f150 was the tq and staying in 6th gear

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you are babying your new puppy. Only 350 miles?? Still a virgin!!

I drive into Elko NV from Spring Creek which is about 20 miles each way. There is Lamoille summit which has to be passed up and over with each round trip. Going up over the summit, my Expy does not downshift going up the summit like my F-150 had to do with the 5.0 V8 which really surprised me. I love it. The power of the TT is just amazing.

You will enjoy your road trip EAndy!!
My wife and I are looking forward to the trip. Last year we did five trips. This year I think we'll keep down to two. It's and 8 hour drive each way. We have it down to two stops once to pee and the second to pee and get gas. :) It's straight flat and boring driving across Indiana (we are only 30 minutes for the border) and Ohio and once we get into PA it's like driving on a road course, up, down, and around mountains (hills by your standards :)). It gives me a good workout.

I'm semi retired at this point (not really by choice). So, I teach for Harrison College, I've been teaching for 4 years, the first year was all in the classroom and now, I mostly teach online. I seem to do most of my driving on Thursday because I go to breakfast with the "Old Timer's Group" These are bunch of guys in their 60's 70's and 80's that fly the old time model airplanes that have been converted to RC. In the summer they have contests every Thursday and throughout the winter we have breakfast at a local restaurant. I flew with them one year but I prefer sport flying. After breakfast, I often go to the indoor range and shoot a couple hundred rounds of pistol ammo and that's only a couple of miles up the road, so I just don't put a lot of miles on it right now. The last full time job I had ended in May and then I was putting in about 36 miles a day.

I'm working on my shop and getting ready to start building models again.

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My wife and I are looking forward to the trip. Last year we did five trips. This year I think we'll keep down to two. It's and 8 hour drive each way. We have it down to two stops once to pee and the second to pee and get gas. :) It's straight flat and boring driving across Indiana (we are only 30 minutes for the border) and Ohio and once we get into PA it's like driving on a road course, up, down, and around mountains (hills by your standards :)). It gives me a good workout.

I'm semi retired at this point (not really by choice). So, I teach for Harrison College, I've been teaching for 4 years, the first year was all in the classroom and now, I mostly teach online. I seem to do most of my driving on Thursday because I go to breakfast with the "Old Timer's Group" These are bunch of guys in their 60's 70's and 80's that fly the old time model airplanes that have been converted to RC. In the summer they have contests every Thursday and throughout the winter we have breakfast at a local restaurant. I flew with them one year but I prefer sport flying. After breakfast, I often go to the indoor range and shoot a couple hundred rounds of pistol ammo and that's only a couple of miles up the road, so I just don't put a lot of miles on it right now. The last full time job I had ended in May and then I was putting in about 36 miles a day.

I'm working on my shop and getting ready to start building models again.

DUDE
you are my hero
i taught for a bit, then was going to do online, but...

had the opportunity to run the first year of a carol Shelby sponsored vocational school.
all signed and ready to go.....then the school put new demands on Mr. Shelby and he told them were to put it. so now the school is a basic auto and diesel school, and i didn't take the chair position.
love the range..best stress reliever ever invented

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DUDE
you are my hero
i taught for a bit, then was going to do online, but...

had the opportunity to run the first year of a carol Shelby sponsored vocational school.
all signed and ready to go.....then the school put new demands on Mr. Shelby and he told them were to put it. so now the school is a basic auto and diesel school, and i didn't take the chair position.
love the range..best stress reliever ever invented
Teaching at the college level was something I wanted to do since I got my MBA in '08 so 4 years ago I got to do it and I enjoy it. I try to give the students a more practical perspective than the textbooks do.

I've been working the hell out of 7 yard full size targets and my groups have gotten pretty good - making big holes in the target now. So, I recently moved them back to 15 yards. I'm getting better still pretty wide but the last time out I noticed that I was starting put some bigger holes (tighter groups) in the target. It is a lot of fun and I enjoy as well it.

OP
OP
J

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Andy,

Just remember about the PA turnpike....that "myth" about getting a ticket if you punch in, then exit in too short a time, that you'll get a ticket....well trust my, it's not a myth!
I used to ride out to a big Vintage bike meet in Ohio every year and since my bike has a radar detector, the first year going out, I FLEW. When I stopped to pay the toll to get off at the Ohio turnpike, I was told to pull off to the right side of the plaza. I had to do a LOT of talking to keep from getting a ticket! If the trooper hadn't been "into" bikes and had come out to talk, I would have been nailed!

Also, it you guys like to shoot, you have got to get one of these:

http://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/my-latest-toy-night-vision-scope.31679/

It is very badass and this week I bought a Gen 1 Monocular to scan the field with since the rifle with scope is too heavy. The one I got was cheap at 90 bucks...it's a Firefield Nightfall 2 and it is a 5x50 mono that works great! I did a write-up over here:

http://atnowners.com/thread/1345/received-nv-monocular

jeff

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Andy,

Just remember about the PA turnpike....that "myth" about getting a ticket if you punch in, then exit in too short a time, that you'll get a ticket....well trust my, it's not a myth!
I used to ride out to a big Vintage bike meet in Ohio every year and since my bike has a radar detector, the first year going out, I FLEW. When I stopped to pay the toll to get off at the Ohio turnpike, I was told to pull off to the right side of the plaza. I had to do a LOT of talking to keep from getting a ticket! If the trooper hadn't been "into" bikes and had come out to talk, I would have been nailed!

Also, it you guys like to shoot, you have got to get one of these:

http://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/my-latest-toy-night-vision-scope.31679/

It is very badass and this week I bought a Gen 1 Monocular to scan the field with since the rifle with scope is too heavy. The one I got was cheap at 90 bucks...it's a Firefield Nightfall 2 and it is a 5x50 mono that works great! I did a write-up over here:

http://atnowners.com/thread/1345/received-nv-monocular

jeff
I usually do about 75 now that they changed the speed limit to 70 on the entire turnpike, although last year I was flying doing 80 - 85 for long distances, but I was just keeping up with traffic. I never had any issues. I love EZ Pass!

That's a great scope! I've never had a night vision scope $90 is a great price!

OP
OP
J

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I should clarify...the scope was close to $600...the hand held Gen 1 monocular that I use to look around the woods or field easily was 90 bucks. Yes, it's a hoot....I've already seen a fox, raccoon and opossum in the woods behind my house. I wouldn't shoot the fox or raccoon though.....I think their just cool animals..

A lot of guys use these NV scopes for hunting rats at night on the farms.

Be careful.....I got a notice from EZ pass (on my truck) around a month ago saying they were warning me for excessive speed at the Scott Key bridge in MD. I thought the left lane was a through lane for EZ so I didn't slow down. They told me that if it happened again a certain timeframe (Don't remember how long), they were going to suspend my EZpass privileges for 6 or 12 months...I don't remember that either....which kind of struck me as funny since I PAY for EZ pass!

I'm getting ready to leave...Friday is my "leave early" day! My sweetheart is coming over to help me put up my 10x20 canopy for my new truck this weekend cause there's no room in my garage with the 2 seater and a motorcycle collection in it. This way, I won't get my new truck covered in sap etc from all my oak trees.

You guys have a great weekend!

jeff

NevadaGeo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I should clarify...the scope was close to $600...the hand held Gen 1 monocular that I use to look around the woods or field easily was 90 bucks. Yes, it's a hoot....I've already seen a fox, raccoon and opossum in the woods behind my house. I wouldn't shoot the fox or raccoon though.....I think their just cool animals..

A lot of guys use these NV scopes for hunting rats at night on the farms.

Be careful.....I got a notice from EZ pass (on my truck) around a month ago saying they were warning me for excessive speed at the Scott Key bridge in MD. I thought the left lane was a through lane for EZ so I didn't slow down. They told me that if it happened again a certain timeframe (Don't remember how long), they were going to suspend my EZpass privileges for 6 or 12 months...I don't remember that either....which kind of struck me as funny since I PAY for EZ pass!

I'm getting ready to leave...Friday is my "leave early" day! My sweetheart is coming over to help me put up my 10x20 canopy for my new truck this weekend cause there's no room in my garage with the 2 seater and a motorcycle collection in it. This way, I won't get my new truck covered in sap etc from all my oak trees.

You guys have a great weekend!

jeff

Nice scopes Jeff. I am a shooter, collector, handloader and occasional hunter. During my first mid-life crisis, I began collecting military rifles that date back to 1880 with emphasis on WW1 and WW2 rifles and handguns. In Nevada, we can do this. What is nice about around here is when I go out into the field, we can easily set up a long range for shooting off the trucks. I also have a Benjamin Sheridan Nitro pellet gun that takes care of yard critters.

Flippingroc

Reaction score
Your all making me incredibly jealous... Love my 09 but after having a 16 for a loaner... Im almost ready to make the move. I had a base model 16 EL loaner and was getting 20MPG as an average... 22 on the highway- using regular 87 Oct... Gotta buy used to save from the depreciation hit- however there is one issue I have... mytouch. I hate it, has anyone heard of possibly changing out the mytouch to the new sync 3- ie, buying a used 2015 Limited and swapping out for a Sync3 from a 17??? Its drastically better... DRASTICALLY. I just don't want to have to wait even longer to find a used one... Toying with a red 2015 salvage-rebuild King Ranch EL that has rear damage for only $16K with minimal damage... repair is basic and its a deal, but if im going through that much I could wait and get what I really want- a white Limited/Platinum with factory 22's...