4 wheel drive question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G

I just bought a 1999 Expedition with 45,000 miles. It has the 5.4 with the all time 4wd. My question is when I am turning slowly or backing out of a parking space, I can feel something rubbing, and was wondering if this could be the 4wd kicking in as the tires are not turning at the same speed, or is something wrong with it? Any feedback would be appreciated.
JOE

OP
OP
G

My '99 Expedition does that in 4WD not A4WD. You could be locked into 4WD and not know it. It should do that in 4WD.

66horse

Reaction score
Hmm. If you are running in A4WD when this happens, it coudl be a couple of things.

First, if you were driving anywhere where it you had wheel slippage, then A4WD would have kicked in, essentially putting it into 4WD and you would see this result.

Also, I have heard and cannot confirm (myabe somebody else can confirm one way or the other) that in A4WD that as soon as it slips and kicks into 4WD that it stays there, that is that it does not kick back down to 2WD when slippage is gone. If this is the case then try kicking it into 2WD and then back into A4WD and see if your problem goes away.

This si my understanding of how it works, if it is wrong, somebody please post. If I ave it wrong, I want ot know what is right.

OP
OP
G

Low speed turns creating a slight pulsation felt through the seat of the pants as much (or more) than the steering wheel?

I had this symptom two years ago on my 1999 XLT. Had a Ford service department scratch their head on this one on three seperate occasions. The final and successful diagnosis was that water in the transfer case was partially engaging clutch packs that normally activate in 4HI. The cure involved flushing the transfer case out three times with transfer case fluid.

The transfer case requires a fluid change on a periodic basis. Has your case been serviced on a timely basis? If not, give it a shot.

OP
OP
G

Thanks for all the reply's, The problem turned out to be in the tranny, and nothing at all to do with the 4wd or a4wd. After convincing the service department to actually test drive the car, the clutches were replaced and the x rode fine. This was done 2 weeks ago(been a while since I checked the board) and now I can feel a slight vibration/shimmy after the tranny gets hot again. I am going to take it back and hopefully the can just adjust the tranny to solve the problem. I did have several people tell me that they thought the brake pads were sticking, as it seemed to make the same sound/feel as they were, but it was all in the tranny. Thanks again for all the help, and I will let you fella's know the final outcome.
JOE

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhrrington