400hp on Platinum only with 91 octane gas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike Wolfe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi All
Not trying to hide the fact ethanol industry receives subsidies but so does the petroleum industry. For me it is very hard to determine which industry benefits the most from the subsidies but it is a fact that they both do & we pay for it. Would be nice if we could find proof of exactly who gets what. I know that if the petroleum industry drills a dry hole for example that is a 100% tax write off for them. Wish it was possible to find truly factual data that offered complete comparisons of both. I have always felt that the petroleum industry spends millions lobbying in support of it's own interests but I have no definitive proof of that. Just would love to have affordable 100 plus octane fuel available. We could make some serious high power density engines then.:disgust:

st381183

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My contention is that if E85 gives better power, performance, and efficiency then E85 would be the only fuel available. Manufacturers know how to sell cars and E85 is mostly available throughout the US at most stations. E85 May have benefits but it isn’t outdoing petrol quite yet.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My contention is that if E85 gives better power, performance, and efficiency then E85 would be the only fuel available. Manufacturers know how to sell cars and E85 is mostly available throughout the US at most stations. E85 May have benefits but it isn’t outdoing petrol quite yet.
E85 is fine unless you have a car 10 years old or older. My early model carbureted mustang will run on it but gumming up is an issue on the jets for sure.

Mike Wolfe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
E85 is a carbon neutral fuel
E85 is 108 octane fuel
It latent heat of evaporation is much higher than gasoline
Therefore an engine could be designed to run exclusively on E85 with much higher power density
If E85 were readily available & the engine was designed for it instead of the flex fuel "FLEX FUEL COMPROMISE" a lot more power could be produced with a smaller displacement.
However we have a very wealthy petroleum industry that puts millions of dollars into lobbying to support their agenda:argue:

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How hygroscopic is it again?? That wouldn't ever cause any other issues would it at it makes it was through the transportation chain and into your tank? LOL There hasn't been an immediate & instant upsurge in fuel related repair issues since the inception of e85 has there?

I am not knocking anyone here.....I would suggest as always, begin to research for yourselves.....I admit my ****** bias comes from many, many years of building high performance two stroke engines....so for several reasons, ethanol in any form is "bad". Most of my engines can run on 93 but as Mike points out, thrive on 105 because it allows for a higher state of carb and timing tuning than would be advisable at lower octanes.

jeff