4R100 hard shifting no more

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CaperCanadian

Reaction score
So for a while now (like 3 years) been having a hard 1-2 shift issue. So today figured id pull the trans pan and see whats going on. Pulled the acculumator body and suprise suprise, broken 1-2 acculumator spring. Anyone else come across this?

Attachments

• 20140825_164703.jpg
    20140825_164703.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 291
Last edited:
OP
OP
C

CaperCanadian

Reaction score
If it works fine when cold than starts acting up when warm, and lower speed it shifts sound and feel like the trans wants to kick you in the ass. I would pull it and have a look. For the few hours of work it would take. While your in there you can change out the filter too, and im sure 6 quarts for new transfluid cant hurt either.

ExpeditionLova

Reaction score
If it works fine when cold than starts acting up when warm, and lower speed it shifts sound and feel like the trans wants to kick you in the ass. I would pull it and have a look. For the few hours of work it would take. While your in there you can change out the filter too, and im sure 6 quarts for new transfluid cant hurt either.
mines been preety much both cold and warm but one odd random day in june it acted like it wanted to work ..where it was partically workin but went back out after the 15 mjn drive it was Hot as hell that day though lol

exactly the lower speed sounds like it was being destroyed

once u get the pan off was yur next step besides the filter how do locate and replace springs

OP
OP
C

CaperCanadian

Reaction score
When you drop the pan, the acculumator body is at the front of the transmission. there are 17 8mm bolts and 2 9mm nuts holding the body on. When you first loosen the acculumator body the trans will pour fluid from every nook and crany in and around the main body, have a pan ready. I had a large piece of cardboard under there with me so it soaked up any dripping the was going on, and it will drip the entire time the pan is off. Took me about 3 hours total was dripping the whole time. There is a small filter located above the acculumator if it comes out when you remove it just reinsert it in the transmission, turn it 180 deg to lock it in. With the acculumator off and now looking at from the top down with the cut out notch to the top the 1-2 shift valve is located on the right side top. using a bolt that held the acculumator in thread it in the cap so you can push it in and remove the locking clip than pull out the cap. Replace the spring with new ones. The kit i had from TransGo replaced the one factory spring with 4 springs. I did all the acculator valve springs and the line pressure regulator as well. They all come apart the same way other than the line pressure valve, that one just had to work at it for it to come out. Reinstall in reverse order and torque the acculumator body to 80-100 inch pounds and trans pan to 19 ft pounds.

Attachments

• valve_body.jpg
    valve_body.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:

ExpeditionLova

Reaction score
When you drop the pan, the acculumator body is at the front of the transmission. there are 17 8mm bolts and 2 9mm nuts holding the body on. When you first loosen the acculumator body the trans will pour fluid from every nook and crany in and around the main body, have a pan ready. I had a large piece of cardboard under there with me so it soaked up any dripping the was going on, and it will drip the entire time the pan is off. Took me about 3 hours total was dripping the whole time. There is a small filter located above the acculumator if it comes out when you remove it just reinsert it in the transmission, turn it 180 deg to lock it in. With the acculumator off and now looking at from the top down with the cut out notch to the top the 1-2 shift valve is located on the right side top. using a bolt that held the acculumator in thread it in the cap so you can push it in and remove the locking clip than pull out the cap. Replace the spring with new ones. The kit i had from TransGo replaced the one factory spring with 4 springs. I did all the acculator valve springs and the line pressure regulator as well. They all come apart the same way other than the line pressure valve, that one just had to work at it for it to come out. Reinstall in reverse order and torque the acculumator body to 80-100 inch pounds and trans pan to 19 ft pounds.

Thanks alot i gotaa wait till i get all the parts and fluid im going to do a full flush on the trans through the trans line on the radiator so it can flush out the torq converter

did u need a new trans pan gasket im sure u did but im just askin

Last edited:

96mustangV6

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had this same problem last month.

Been like this since I bought my 03 Navi. Got it cheap cause I think the guy thought it was goin out. I did a filter and fluid change and a new shift solenoid. Still shifted hard but mine was from 2-3.

After searching on diesel forums everyone had this same problem. I didn't see many 1-2. Mostly 2-3 and hesatation into reverse. ( the acclamater spring for 2-3 controls reverse too).

I found new springs on eBay for $12 shipped.

Just search 4r100 springs and you'll see them.

After replacing the springs and new fluid again, my navi shifts really smooth. Can hardly tell it shifts.

My spring came out in 7 pieces.

It's not hard to do. Takes about 2 hours.

bcmaxx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yes, I just dealt with this this spring. same thing, broken spring, transgo kit came with thew spring as a kit update and a note saying symptoms.