4wd and TSC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tim Fuller

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So we've had lots of snow in upstate NY the least week or so and I've noticed that the TSC kicks on faster than the 4auto. This is counterproductive and my fix has been to just push the TSC button to deactivate it. My question , is this what's supposed to happen? My previous vehicles have not had both features, just one or the other. Side question, can I pull a fuse to deactivate feature and not lose anything else?

B-McD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tim - Are you saying you think the traction control is coming on sooner in 4A? I have noticed that Ford seems to have the most intrusive TC around. Once it kicks in the only way to get power back seems to be to lift on the gas and then try again. My previous cars - mostly Audi and MB, have always has TC kick in once you get sliding but if you kept your foot in it, the car would keep giving you as much power as it could while maintaining control. Made for some fun snow driving in my RS4! I have found the truck to be better in the snow with TC disabled. You can hold the button down (5 seconds I think) and it turns off stability control as well. But it's still there in the background. Lawyers keeping the idiots safe I guess.

OP
OP
Tim Fuller

Tim Fuller

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Before and during. Drives me nuts. I don't mind in turns at speed when it's useful, but from a dead stop it's useless. I guess I'll just keep pressing the button.

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine shows. 4A light on the dash for starters, and have you driven in snow in 2wd and 4A? If you have, you know, without a doubt, that it’s engaged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

B-McD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think he is referring to the overlord traction control system. But there is a noticeable difference from 2H to 4A. Seems to put more "drag" on the driveline I can feel when coasting and turning.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I’m in decent snow I click off traction control and put in in 4H, best control then.

jkayca

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Get snow tires. They'll help you stop too, something 4 wheel drive does nothing for.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
I think he is referring to the overlord traction control system. But there is a noticeable difference from 2H to 4A. Seems to put more "drag" on the driveline I can feel when coasting and turning.
Not positive but I believe that drag is from the hubs locking but not engaging the transfer case. So you'd be spinning all of the front end 4x4 components but not engaged at the transfer case.

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That’s what I mean though. You can tell it’s engaged for sure but there’s no indicator that it’s shifting the torque balance and its silent. Traction control generally for me is less aggressive in 4A on my 2012 than it is when I’m in 2H, so I understand if he finds it’s too aggressive, but it starts shifting torque within a third of a rotation of a wheel, and can even predict wheel slip, I don’t understand what is meant by it “kicks on faster.”

I disable TCS in 4A occasionally but only when I feel like power sliding through parking lots. :)