4wd and TSC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B-McD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Plus as mentioned above - a set of dedicated snows makes a world of difference. The RS4 and S7 I used to have were undriveable in snow with the summer rubber on there. I always had a separate set of wheels, typically in gray to blend in with the salt and slush, shod with performance snow tires. Makes you the rally champ of the 'hood! I can only imagine what a beast the Expy would be with a big set of snows installed!

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For those of you who disable traction control while in 4H. If your system detects slip, it will engage an electronic “locker” and this will actually cause the truck to be less secure on slick pavement at higher speeds because the axles will all be turning without any rotational differences thus forcing the tires to slip around turns etc. it’s great for slow speed deep snow or mud situations, but not designed for higher speed slick driving with possible turns or curves. I have a lot of experience with a truly triple locked truck (my previous land cruiser) and have driven it in all conditions in all different modes (4A 4H 4L front locked, Center locked, rear locked and various combos of each). Best high speed stability is usually 4A letting the truck apply and control torque distribution automatically. But once you go to 4H and then disable traction control, any slip and the computer “virtual locks” the diffs and this electronic locker won’t disengage until you either turn traction control back on or switch out of 4H. It’s an awesome feature in the right conditions but could actually encourage a loss of traction in other situations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
Tim Fuller

Tim Fuller

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I mean that going up my driveway, I stop because the TCS trumps the 4A. If turn off TCS I go up like a superstar.

OP
OP
Tim Fuller

Tim Fuller

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Fat fingers. Driveway is straight. I agree that the TCS is useful at speed but from a stop the 4wd should take charge right?

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Honestly Tim, I constantly turn off the TCS because it bugs me. But for a lot of people who just sit and drive and aren’t actively involved or aware of their vehicles it does the trick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I mean that going up my driveway, I stop because the TCS trumps the 4A. If turn off TCS I go up like a superstar.
It doesn’t “trump” the 4A, it’s trying to prevent side-to-side sliding. Try it in 2H with or without TCS and then in 4A with the same if you like and you’ll see what I mean. 4A is silent and doesn’t light up the TCS light or anything, it just goes.

OP
OP
Tim Fuller

Tim Fuller

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Right... The side to side prevention is keeping me from ascending my straight driveway. I guess the correct question to ask is, should this feature turn on when I'm going straight uphill or is something "wrong"?

jkayca

Full Access Members
Reaction score
TSC and 4-auto work for most people in most situations. If that doesn't work for you, switch to 4-hi. If that still doesn't work then switch off the traction control. If you are at this point though, I'm going to guess the truck isn't moving at speed and this should be safe. I've had a number of vehicles where the TSC has prevented me from getting out of a snow bank or truly slippery situations such as pure ice. Sometimes you just need to gun the car to get out and the TSC just gets in the way.

Also, IIRC, using 4-hi on dry pavement for prolonged periods can damage the truck. It think it says this somewhere in the user's manual. So once you get yourself out of the current mess you're in don't forget to put her back in 4-auto or 2-hi depending on conditions.

08T1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just wish there was a way to completely bypass the TCS.

On my 12 f150 I could completely shut off the nanny. But this one engages it above 25-30

Can I pull a fuse?

Just asking.

CJ

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Page 175 of the 2017 Owners Manual:

USING TRACTION CONTROL

WARNING

The stability and traction control light illuminates steadily if the system detects a failure. Make sure you did not manually disable the traction control system using the switch. If the stability control and traction control light is still illuminating steadily, have the system serviced by an authorized dealer immediately. Operating your vehicle with traction control disabled could lead to an increased risk of loss of vehicle control, vehicle rollover, personal injury and death.

The system automatically turns on each time you switch the ignition on.

If your vehicle is stuck in mud or snow, switching traction control off may be beneficial as this allows the wheels to spin.