4wd and TSC

Discussion in '3rd Gen - 2007 - 2017' started by Tim Fuller, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Tim Fuller

Tim Fuller Active Member

Ok...as long as truck ain't broke. 4wd makes sense to me. TSC makes sense to me. I just never had them both on the same vehicle. Thanks for the insights.

2. Muddy Bean

Muddy Bean Full Access Members

Traction control and stability control are two different operations if not the same method from what I understand. Someone correct me if I’m off on this, but TCS detects wheel spin and applies the brakes individually to said wheel to prevent wheel spin. Stability control detects side to side loss of control and applies braking to minimize said side to side slipping. Stability control in my opinion should always be on. But I can definitely see turning off TCS. Some do tell though, is there a way to semi permanently disable TCS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3. deweysmith

deweysmith Full Access Members

TCS on/off toggle really only disables the throttle cut. It will still brake spinning wheels, though I believe it waits a little longer before doing so, allowing more spin.

I think if you press and hold the button it disables more things but I’m not certain, and if so, it automatically re-enables those things above a certain speed.

Muddy Bean likes this.
  4. 08T1

08T1 Full Access Members

Yep^^^^^

Muddy Bean likes this.
  5. Muddy Bean

Muddy Bean Full Access Members

Dewey, if pushing and holding it did other things I’d be super curious...intrigued

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

6. chuck s

chuck s Full Access Members

Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
    A couple of years ago I got stuck entering drive-up ATM machine where the access drive leading to it had piled snow blocking the lane. No sweat, this is an Expedition. 2H = no go. 4A = nada. OK 4H has gotta work = nope. All just flashed the traction icon. Left it in 4H, switched off TC, and the truck just walked out of the drift.

-- Chuck

Tim Fuller likes this.
  7. jeff kushner

jeff kushner Full Access Members

Dang guys, I'm jealous as hell.....I've left my truck in 4A since new....but in the past 15 months, we've not received anything deeper then 2" of snow....and I LOVE DEEP SNOW in my Expys!! LOVE IT!!

There is nothing like 4 wheel ROOSTS while doing huge donuts in an empty lot....great fun! Or laying tracks where no Suburban can follow......these trucks are truly beasts in the snow if you know their limitations and avoid those few situations that can cause grief....like long, drifting power-slides that allow the snow to build up under your truck, leveraging it off the ground....making you dig it out....

so yeah guys....I'm jealous because my traction control has been unnoticed so far....:(

jeff

JExpedition07 likes this.
  8. JExpedition07

JExpedition07 Elite Member Supporting Member

I’d say the suburban struggles offroad and in snow just as the Expedition EL does compared to the standard wheel base counter part. Simply put, its Easier for the longer wheelbase versions to get hung up. The newer suburbans perform pretty darn good. But these do perform well I agree.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  9. chuck s

chuck s Full Access Members

Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
    I rarely run in other than 2H. I can feel the drag when engaging 4A and it serves no purpose in daily driving. I do run 4A in the rain just 'cuz and on dirt roads chasing historical battlefields etc.

My olde '02 Explorer was in 4A by default. No way to run just 2H.

-- Chuck

10. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Active Member

These are all great posts, and informative. I agree that generally, 4A and TSC off work better at slow speeds, and TSC should be on at higher speeds. Having had Expy's for years, it's almost second nature for me to be flipping between 2H, 4A and 4H as well as TSC off/on and even Tow/Haul off/on during different snow conditions. Being in Michigan and close to the lake effect snow, we have widely varying conditions and I'm just used to flipping/turning/pushing. But I never get stuck :)

Regarding dedicated snow tires, I've been running the Michelin LTX tires and have never needed different tires for winter. They have been great both on/off road, winter and summer. Just my opinion...

Thanks!

Tim Fuller likes this.