650 hp from a 3.5L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
everyone is so worried about 400+ hp on 91 octane for the expedition. How about this gt40 with a 3.5L under the hood pumping out 650hp with a top speed of 210? Bet it runs just fine on us poor mans 87!98CEB07E-13AF-462E-9444-1AF01C33E062.jpeg

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably not.....most likely would predetonate and throw a rod through the side of the block....

OP
OP
J Ski

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
Probably not.....most likely would predetonate and throw a rod through the side of the block....
It only says 91/93 is recommended which leads me to believe that it will run just fine on 87 like the Expeditions do

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They May be able to retard the timing and sense it with knock sensors but it will run like crap. High performance motors like the 5.2L Voodoo V8 and 3.5 HO have to compress more atmosphere and fuel to create more power so compression must be raised. At higher compression low octane fuel will predetonate and destroy the engine, you need a fuel more restistent to detonation to contend with higher compression. So it may run on it but it’s going to run like crap and put out a fraction of power it’s capable of on a high compression engine. Way different ball game than an expy. To create more power you must burn more fuel, which leads to this fun fact- The 3.5 GT gets worse gas mileage than the 8.1L Dodge Viper.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J Ski

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
HP per liter has gone up significantly over the years.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/g6482/10-cars-with-the-highest-specific-outputs/

The volvo xC90 is impressive:

The XC90's turbocharged and supercharged 2.0-liter engine makes 316 horsepower, giving it a specific output of 158 horsepower per liter.

...and folks are worried about 400HP on a 3.5L?
Yeah their little thread they have going on this forum about hp numbers with 91 octane and ppl moaning and complaining about fuel octanes and summer/winter blends. It’s just comical along with MPG worries. Folks these are 5000 lb trucks in the shape of a cinder block (4th gens more of a squared off minivan) you aren’t gonna get impressive numbers unless you own a SWB 2WD and drive like a grandpa

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah their little thread they have going on this forum about hp numbers with 91 octane and ppl moaning and complaining about fuel octanes and summer/winter blends. It’s just comical along with MPG worries. Folks these are 5000 lb trucks in the shape of a cinder block (4th gens more of a squared off minivan) you aren’t gonna get impressive numbers unless you own a SWB 2WD and drive like a grandpa

Pay $80,000 for a vehicle, worried about an extra $20 per fill up. Priceless.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pay $80,000 for a vehicle, worried about an extra $20 per fill up. Priceless.
So true. The way I see it is you break down a vehicle in 3 basic areas, size, mpg, HP. You get 2 out of those 3, the one you don’t choose is the big loser. Getting a Navi or expy you are choosing size and HP.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've learned over the years that any "given engine" will make X amount of total power......I can move it in the rpm band, or I can concentrate ALL POWER at a very specific RPM such as the more explosive engines, be it a 70's two stroke or the Ducati 1299 engine which was also a bit of a handful BUT the overriding fact it, unless I change parameters, the engine power is finite.

All this talk on power/detonation....EVERYTHING in engine design is a compromise. I run 165PSI of static compression on this engine(remember that primary compression in a two stroke occurs UNDER the piston) ....dynamic combustion compression ratio is calc'ed to be OVER 16:1.....yet because of other porting features I incorporated when building, it makes 77HP , 17 more than optimistically advertised by Kaw...yet still does not detonate when run on 93ron. There are no electronics on this 40 + year design, no rider aids, nothing........and it runs perfectly!

jeff

1975 H1 complete with new stacks.jpg

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
NO ONE is using 87 in the Ford GT (not GT40) it is a $400,000-500,000 flawlessly designed, masterfully crafted, street legal race car. i can guarantee you that there is a program, switch, or setting to run high octane race gas from the factory. they sound amazing!!!!!