650 hp from a 3.5L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
From the Ford GT manual:

Choosing the Right Fuel
Use only premium unleaded gasoline with a minimum pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 91. For optimal performance, use premium unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of 93 or higher.
The use of the correct fuel is an important part of the proper maintenance of your vehicle, and a condition of the vehicle Warranty. For this vehicle, the use of gasoline with an octane level of 91 or higher is required. The use of gasoline with an octane rating lower than 91 will invalidate the vehicle Warranty. It can degrade vehicle performance and lead to severe mechanical damage.
Note: Use of any fuel other than those recommended can impair the emission control system and cause a loss of vehicle performance.
Do not use:
  • Diesel fuel.
  • Fuels containing kerosene or paraffin.
  • Fuel containing more than 15% ethanol or E85 fuel.
  • Fuels containing methanol.
  • Fuels containing metallic-based additives, including manganese-based compounds.
  • Fuels containing the octane booster additive, methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl (MMT).
  • Leaded fuel (using leaded fuel is prohibited by law).
The use of fuels with metallic compounds such as methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl (commonly known as MMT), which is a manganese-based fuel additive, will impair engine performance and affect the emission control system.
Do not be concerned if the engine sometimes knocks lightly. However, if it knocks heavily under most driving conditions while you are using fuel with the recommended octane rating, contact an authorized dealer to prevent any engine damage.

OP
OP
J Ski

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
NO ONE is using 87 in the Ford GT (not GT40) it is a $400,000-500,000 flawlessly designed, masterfully crafted, street legal race car. i can guarantee you that there is a program, switch, or setting to run high octane race gas from the factory. they sound amazing!!!!!

Seems to be called both Ford GT and GT40. Thanks for trying to correct me though!

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its the Ford GT but anybody with any car knowledge would know what you were talking about if you said GT40.

Trying to find the relevance to the 4th Gen Expedition though. Can someone help me?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its the Ford GT but anybody with any car knowledge would know what you were talking about if you said GT40.

Trying to find the relevance to the 4th Gen Expedition though. Can someone help me?

I was a bit confused too..... but the manual posted clearly states NO 87 octane for the GT which is what I suspected. 91 Octane minimum.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
"Do not be concerned if the engine sometimes knocks lightly. "

Ford really published this? Be VERY concerned if you suffer ANY "engine knock"? Over time, it's effects are devastating.

Picture the piston rising at over 4,000 feet per second, and just before it gets to the top of it's rotation, a sledge hammer slams into the crown of the piston.................this is as accurate a description of what actually happens as can be.......

Knowing this, are you really going to "not be concerned" if this is happening in your engine?

jeff

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Seems to be called both Ford GT and GT40. Thanks for trying to correct me though!
IT IS THE FORD GT. Whoever calls it differently, is wrong. Thats a fact Jack. Its heritage is of the GT40 family, but it is the Ford GT. Period. You're welcome!!!

OP
OP
J Ski

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
IT IS THE FORD GT. Whoever calls it differently, is wrong. Thats a fact Jack. Its heritage is of the GT40 family, but it is the Ford GT. Period. You're welcome!!!
I like GT40, there are a lot of wrong ppl then. And my name is not Jack, it’s jdizzleforshizzlemynizzle