$800 98 Expedition XLT 4X4 budget build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

workman8505

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its the little things that get you, and im one who will Mod before he repairs, which I know is bad but the important stuff is all good, its just the little things...
id take the headache and the work of a 4x4 over a 2wd anyday.
4x4>4x2 lol
My dad used to have a 98 EB 4x4 that he got rid of at 250k, bought an 03 EB 4x2 in 06, put 100k on that since he bought it. I Was talking to him the other day and he said "I think im just going to go for it and get a new(er) f150 this year, and there's no way I'm buying another 4x2" LOL!
He said he hates having to worry about getting stuck in the most simple and easy offroad places like sand, little mud, or wet grass. (no BS i got his truck stuck in wet grass one time lol)
Ill own 4x4s the rest of my life, I just love them idk what it is

yea mines a 4x2 i was reading about tbar crank little did i know till i looked i dont have tbars :33: lol 4x2's dont so i have to spend more to get spindles front and spacers rear to lift it. but even with street tires on mine ive gone places i wouldnt think it would being a 4x2 i think with some good tires and a little lift ill be happy with where i can go and if all else fails ive got a winch lol. heck even when it snowed 6 or 10 inches here last year and down here thats a lot i was out playin in it and getting around just fine idk could be my driving style but i havent put it up against sand yet being as heavy as it is i would want some wide tire on it first. i would love to pick up a 4x4 even with probles for $800 dont get me wronge its a great deal ive got 3000 in mine if it had been 4x4 for 800 i would prob have the same in it by this point with lift and getting it going i would jump all over it and not think twice.
and dont feel bad about mods before repairs ive got some small things with mine that dont hurt anything so i let em go like a bad o2 somewhere and now a small rock ding in my windshild that is now a rather large crack all the way down talk about being pissed i went to was my truck and bam crack. and im doing my dash and all to the interior lol.
also a note on mud i guess down here we have harder mud seeing as most of it is good old GA red clay. lol

Last edited:

Expeditionary

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The reason people get stuck is not knowing how to drive in the terrain your in, not knowing the capabilities of your vehicle, and TIRES.
Since I've had my BFGs on ive been stuck once, and it was because I was framed out in a mudhole that was way too deep for my little 35s (if i had a front locker I would have got out though.) I go through mud, sand, dirt, etc all in 2wd unless I think its really going to be challenging. I just love being able to have the option of switching it in and going places others cant. Ive actually been in sugar sand up to the rims (35x12.5xR17s have a big side wall lol) and it walked right out in 2wd. In the exact same place where a 2wd expedition on street tires was completely framed out in the back, stuck so bad we had to dig out his hitch to get him out... its all about the tires man.

workman8505

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i agree there i dont think any amount of 4x4 will do any good with out a good set of tires to get it to the ground same goes for 4x2 lol.

OP
OP
frito-bandito

frito-bandito

Reaction score
Optimistic about tomorrow, I scored a hacksaw tonight at the local Wally World, so hopefully ill be posting about the damn transfercase finally being out lol, fingers crossed! And yes I'm wishing it was a 4X2 right about now!

workman8505

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Optimistic about tomorrow, I scored a hacksaw tonight at the local Wally World, so hopefully ill be posting about the damn transfercase finally being out lol, fingers crossed! And yes I'm wishing it was a 4X2 right about now!

lol well good luck in the a.m. man. hope all goes well and when it does sit back and have a beer. and dont let it get to you have fun with it.
and if all else fails do what this guy does >> :ryu-cvs-hadoken-a:

OP
OP
frito-bandito

frito-bandito

Reaction score
Finally its out!!!! You don't have to touch the torsion bars to remove it, all I did was jack the tranny as high as it would go, remove the trans x-member and since my exhaust bolts were rusted tight, I cut the crossover pipe that runs between the t-case and the tranny. Now the wait starts for me to save enough money to get a replacement t-case.

IMG_20120401_173308.jpg

I hated to do this because I like doing all the work myself...but you gotta do what you gotta do

IMG_20120401_173313.jpg

OP
OP
frito-bandito

frito-bandito

Reaction score
Well a small update, I had a hiccup with the title transfer so I put everything on hold. But today it was resolved, so to the junkyard Thursday (payday) to get a t case!!!

VexedEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your Mothers neighbor just about drove the wheels of that Expy~ Good Luck! Can't wait to see the results!