97 Expedition 4x4 question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Firekatt

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a 97 expedition with the 5.4L engine. Having issues with the 4 wheel drive and have a question. I have a basic understanding of how the system works and what component does what. The issue I'm having is that at first, it didn't want to shift into 4H or 4L at all. Except in 2H, the only thing that would light up on the dash is the A4WD light. In 2H, there would be no lights on at all, turn the selector knob to A4WD, 4H or 4L and only the A4WD light would come on. We had snow fall over the weekend and made for some slick roads. I put the truck in the A4WD mode and made the rear tires spin, the light switched to 4x4 and has stayed there. I'm still not sure if my front end is locking as I haven't laid down in the snow to see the actuator...however, I did perform some tests at the 2 solenoids behind the battery. I have constant power to both and a open circuit on the 2nd pin on the 2WD solenoid and a ground on the 2nd pin of the 4WD solenoid. However, nothing switches there no matter what the selector knob is on. My question here is....if the transfer case shift motor is bad/stuck in 4x4, will that keep the module from switching the solenoids from 4x4 to 2wd? Also, is it possible to take that shift motor apart and clean/relube it and it still work? I was reading somewhere that the stop gets malformed and keeps it from working most of the time but I don't see how that would affect it if it's in 4x4.

Thanks in advance!!!