97 expedition 5.4 stumble at 1300 - 1500 rpm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeA

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Test TPS (throttle position sensor)

I can not think of anything else to check, leaves me pointing to pcm/ecm may be the problem, if not bad connection someplace.

Tossing this one out there, try clearing pcm, or if you are lucky like I am and have a junkyard near, to get a used one cheap for testing

OP
OP
J

James Meyers

Reaction score
Thank you Mike.
My 97 is the same as your 98.

That is the link I've used to diagnose my system.
Went through each step carefully on each device. Even double checked the backpressure transducer. Everything tests OK. That's what has me stumped. I keep going back to the ECM signal to the vacuum solenoid at 1300 rpm. Why am I getting a signal?
Wondering if ECM is faulty. Been told they don't go bad very often. Usually something is telling it to do whatever.

MikeA

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Try clearing pcm , get a cheap used one from junkyard for testing, can not think what else could be problem.

I am pointing at pcm or loose wiring.

OP
OP
J

James Meyers

Reaction score
Latest update!

Checked TPS as per one of your last post. Found a gap in signal going to the PCM. I'm hoping this cures my problem. Gap in throttle movement is near WOT. Stumble is lower in rpm range but still could be the culprit.
Will keep you posted. Just ordered one from Rock Auto. Be here end of week.
Thank you again for your time Mike. YOUR THE MAN!

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've replaced the TPSs twice in almost 20 years (purchased May '97). it does get memory especially that rpm range for a lot of roads I drive.
hopefully it's your huckleberry.
Let us know.

OP
OP
J

James Meyers

Reaction score
I am glad to announce that with the help from the guys on this forum that I have solved my problem. Received a new TPS today. After instalation and test driving confirm that was the culprit. I can't explain it but my fuel trim numbers are closer to being neutral than before. Idles and runs better throughout rpm range.

Not only did I solve this problem, I got an education regarding the engine control system.

Thank You for your time........

MikeA

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Glad your all fixed .

Thanks for coming back to post problem solved